Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So recently my laptop got 4 viruses, none of which were detectable by avast, mcafee, or malwarbytes. So I ordered a recovery disk from toshiba and completely wiped the computer. With a nuked harddrive and a clean OS installation, I should be back to good as new, right?

Well, it seems to be only partly true. For some reason, when I try to use firefox on my cleanly wiped computer it now is broken. When I try to use Gmail, it is very slow and the I cannot click or type in the reply field of any email. I don't have this problem with any other browser. I also can't access my work's Portal with Firefox. I've tried downgrading to 3.0, but that didn't work. I don't get it. I'm thinking about posting a Hijackthis log, but I'm not sure if I need to. Is it possible that even with a clean wipe something could have stayed to screw up my browser? btw, firefox never had this problem before I wiped the computer.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so right after I posted this I started playing around, and on a whim I removed the Skype extension from firefox. Gmail problem solved. I'm going to try reinstalling it, and I'll tell you guys what happened.

I'm still curious to know though if my system could still be infected after a clean wipe. Thanks!

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
If you did a clean install of xp and connected it to the internet without at least installing sp3, a firewall and antivirus I can guarantee you will get infected within a couple of minutes.

Also malwarebytes is not virus protection.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Hiding behind a router will help. Give you time to update and install anti-software.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.