Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am using WinXP Professional and I would like to get some opinions on which application is better: Norton Ghost or GoBack.

I am using both but it seems redundant to me. If I upgrade GoBack to the Deluxe edition I can rescue files that have been overwritten just like I can in Ghost.

I am leaning toward dumping Ghost and upgrading GoBack. Is this a feasible option?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Although they seem to "overlap" these are to different things.

GoBack can save you from a lot of problems but it is not really a back-up program. It creates it's own area on the C drive. If that drive fails, you are stuck with nothing.
Ghost can copy your entire drive to an external drive and restore that image to a new drive and you are going again, just like nothing happened.

I think GoBack is great for "short term" problems and Ghost is the "safety net" below the hole thing.
Redundant? .......maybe a little.
Safe?.................Very

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Complete agreement with LONGHAIR. I have both Ghost and GoBack and as stated, there my be some minor overlap, but they serve two quite different functions. The data contained in a Ghost backup is dated (the last time you made a backup) whereas the data contained in GoBack Deluxe is dynamic and automatically keeps pace with day to day operations.

As an oversimplification, one could say GoBack fills the gaps between Ghost backups and not be to far off base.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the deluxe version of GoBack let you name the entries? the personal version does not let you name them that I know of.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I am not overly fond of Goback on XP machines where system restore is enabled, I have seen many a conflict between the two!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never had good luck using system restore. I always get the message that my system cannot be restored to a point because there was no significant changes. That is taking into consideration that I have installed programs and made other changes to the system. I pick a point that is prior to the changes I made and it just gives me that message.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
svengal1. If by "Name the entries" you mean select which entries to recover after a restore has been done... Yes, GoBack Deluxe does that. The Personal Edition does not.

Regarding XP's System Restore feature. When I installed GoBack on my son's machine, I disabled the System Restore to prevent conflict.

One of the primary reasons I prefer GoBack over XP's System Restore is with the latter you must remember the go through the process of creating a restore point before doing some action (like a software install) in order to have the restore point available. With GoBack Deluxe, no such thing is required. GoBack keeps a constant, ongoing history file of every change that occurs. You can select from a detailed list of the specific point in time you wish to revert to. In addition to the time, the list also details the specific action.

Here's a screenshot of the menu used for selecting a revert point:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I like both programs, but mainly just use Ghost. I have my main HD partitioned in 2 partitions...the first is only 20 GB and only has program and system files. My Ghost images all go into the same folder on a drive with other data and I just use take an image before installing new software, etc. Imaging with Ghost is pretty fast, and because I don't store data on my main partition, the infrequent backups suit me fine. Of course, this only helps for recovering my system...if the other HD goes, I'll lose my most recent backups.

But when I need to restore with Ghost, it takes just minutes to completely restore everything. I haven't used Go Back in awhile, so I can't offer to much on it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lets say you have an old machine, in this case a Gateway 2000 running W95 and a 2yr old eMachine running Wxp he. Can you buy an external hdd with say 100gbs, and then can you partition it and connect to both putes and ghost both?

Then say your old putes hdd dies,{Gateway} can you buy another hhd and use the ghost to replace the W95 OS?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I've not done anything like that, but I don't see why not. Ghost supports USB and Firewire external drives. There are some special steps in creating the boot disk for external drives, but it's doable. If your older machine uses a SCSI interface for the external drive, that may get a bit more complicated. Reading through the Ghost manual, it's not real clear about SCSI hard drives. It talks about SCSI external optical and tape drives but not hard drives. However, the Radified site has an article on Ghost that DOES discuss SCSI hard drives. You can take a look at that Here. They seem to think it's not a problem.

Ghost is an outstanding program, but it does take some figuring out on how to use it. Once you get through the learning curve, it's great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Raybro, I have a similar question. I have a desktop running XP Pro with two 80GB drives and want to image copy C to D and it sounds like Ghost would work fine. BUT, I also have a laptop running XP Home that I want to also backup but to the desktop. Can this be done with Ghost?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Pretty sure it can. Does your laptop have a floppy drive? The easiest way to boot the laptop into the Ghost DOS GUI is with a Ghost boot floppy. If your laptop does not have a floppy drive, you can create bootable Ghost CD's. I've not done this, so I would refer you to the Radified site in my previous post. It addresses bootable Ghost CD's. I'm not real clear on the process, but I'm sure I've seen this discussed more than once on TSG.

You may want to do a search of TSG on the subject of Ghost and bootable CD's.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Raybro,
I used the link on the NSW 2003 to update the Roxio GoBack and it brought me to the Roxio site. There is nothing on their site that even hints that they ever had GoBack. I want to purchase the deluxe edition and it looks as if they don't support that program anymore.

Do you have any information on where I can upgrade to the deluxe edition?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guess I forgot to mention that the laptop is networked to the desktop. What I was curious about was whether you can use Ghost to backup from the laptop to the desktop through the network. Worst case is make another partition, backup there and then share that partition to the desktop I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.