Ive recently had this problem occur to a computer I am working on for a friend. I've moved my questioning to here after using combofix went disastrously wrong after being suggested to use it here.
Problem: I have a black screen (after windows load screen) that has an active mouse but with no capability of getting into the Windows Task Manager. I tried rebooting in VGA mode, all 3 safe modes with no luck
Here is a chain of events leading up to my problem
1) Cleaned up her hard drive because it was riddled with spy-ware and viruses (with Hijackthis, Ad aware, and house call)
2) Her computer was still having issues with a few spy ware programs, mainly Think-adz and the fact that her WHOLE desktop screen would invert 90 degrees to the left.
3) It was suggested that I run combo fix, follow the prompts and post a log for the person whom was helping me.
4) I installed and ran combo fix on the laptop, it never got past Step 1 (after waiting for 30+ minutes). I ran combo fix again and the same thing happened.
5) I rebooted the laptop and got a lsass.exe error.
6) I went into bootup with my XP CD and manually repaired lsass.exe with the friendly copy and rename commands
7) Currently I am here; I have a black screen (after windows load screen) that has an active mouse but with no capability of getting into the Windows Task Manager. I tried rebooting in VGA mode, all 3 safe modes with no luck
I fear that combo fix deleted A LOT more than I know. I really want to try to avoid doing a clean re-install because she has no back up for her data. Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.