Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've got a desktop with a wired connection to a cable broadband modem (with only one connection on it) and I'd like to have my laptop (which has a wireless card) to share that connection only wireless .... if you know what I mean... anyone tell me what I need to do to get that working? is it possible?

cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi L8ian,

So I would have to buy a wireless cable modem and use my existing CAT5 cable to connect from my desktop network card to the wireless modem ... and the laptop could 'access the wireless modem ... err... wirelessly ... that right???
OR
.... i'm not sure what the other option is ... what would a wireless router do for me?

please excuse my rank ignorance!
cheers

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Buy a wireless router, it'll allow you share the connection with wired and wireless computers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

Excuse my utter ignorance here ... would that be a wireless cable/dsl router (like the Netgear WNR834B model)?

would that replace my existing cable modem?

I dont understand how it all 'fits'.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If you get a wireless (cable/dsl) router such as the Netgear WNR834B you will connect your current modem to the router's WAN (also called Internet or Modem) port. Up to 4 computers, printers, ethernet switches, etc., can connect to the router's 4 LAN ports. And multiple computers can connect via Wi-Fi.

You can replace your cable modem with a unit that is a combination of cable modem/wireless router, but I prefer keeping the units separate.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You're welcome. Good luck with your router shopping. Most times with cable internet service you can get started simply ...

Unplug the modem and shut down the computer. Connect modem to router WAN and computer to router LAN. Plug in modem, then router, then boot computer.

You should have internet access and can then consult the manual (on CD or online) for login to your router and setting up your wireless and connect the other computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.