Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a computer science/engineer major and I know somewhat a lot about computers, but this is my first time seeing this blue screen. My computer will start up to the compaq screen then goes to windows xp and then it flashes a blue screen for a split second. I was able to freeze it, but do not know how i did it, but it said something about a cretain system32 file is corrupt. there is a corrupt hive. complete physical memory dump complete. contact tech support or system administrator. right now, I am out of town and i have been reading about it and they say something about using a recovery console. I do not have my XP disk with me. I was wondering could I use anyone's XP disk and how do i fix this problem with no disk or using a XP disk? Thanks, i really need the help.!!!!!

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
If you get the error:
Windows could not start because the following files is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM or \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Enter in the administrator password when requested
cd \windows\system32\config
Depending on which section was corrupted:
ren software software.bad or ren system system.bad
Depending on which section was corrupted
copy \windows\repair\system
copy \windows\repair\software
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

You typically will need and XP CD that you can boot to for this.
You also need to know the administrator's password.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cerelli,

will this process erase my files. i really need a powerpoint that is on there. if this will erase my files, then is there another way that i can fix this problem without erasing my files.???

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pardon my "hopping" on to this thread but I also have this problem or the symptom of it. My daugther's Dell Inspiron 8200 was online when her house power failed. When she tried to restart it she got the BSOD and Registry File Failed message as described in this thread. My question is can I use a recovery CD (XP Home) from a non-Dell PC to try and get into the Recovery Console to run chkdsk to see if her HDD is corrupted/damaged? If yes, is there any chance that chkdsk would "fix" the problem so the Dell will reboot to XP? SHe cannot find her Dell Operating System Recovery CD which presents me with this dilema. Appreciate any knowledgeable advise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.