Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, i'm new to this site, i usually don't need computer help, i have my a+, net+, going for my ccna and mcse, but anyways, i'm having a problem with a graphics card, gforce fx 5600, my board has the capability of 4x, and if i have read correctly, i believe that this card has that ability as well, but i'm not getting any boot up screen from the monitor, and its a known good card, any advice?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
All GeForce cards are Universally known to cause problems on assorted motherboards (too numerous to list)

What motherboard specifically do you have?

Some motherboards, even those that state 4x capability have either data transmission issues or physical power load issues (can't send enough juice) and end up not posting with the GeFarce card.

Oddly enough, sometimes this sequence works, reset the cmos with the old video card installed. Remove any unnecessary cards.
go into the bios and set the AGP aperature as SMALL as it goes 0mb or 4mb. If your board has the ability to slow down the agp speeds in the bios (not many do) do so.

Reseat the GeForce card and try again and see if you get a post.

If so your board might be overloaded / partially incompatible or your PSU might be too small.

Try moving the agp aperature up in small incriments and reboot and see how high you can set it before you get a crash, also do the same with components, add one at a time and see if any does not agree with the card.

When it comes to high powered video cards and older motherboards I've had a lot of unusual things occur, I had one older board that would not post with a Intel Network card installed with the GeForce card installed, I've also had many boards that would only run the GeForce card with the agp aperature set small and they would only run stable by using a utility in windows to manually set the agp speed slower.

Another thing too, if you have an old PCI card install it and the AGP card at the same time and see if it puts out a post screen and then check if the agp card is detected or not.

Good Luck, Hopefully it is something simple and please post your motherboard brand /model and your cpu and system specs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rmay's got it I'd say. Lower everything as low as possible then bring it up slowly.

Good Card, Mines a 5200 but it works great, but I gotta new mobo and Big power supply for it.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i tryed that, and just didn't have any luck with that, but you did bring up an interesting point that had silled my mind, it may not have enough juice to go to the card, its only a 160 watt powersupply. also it had onboard video, and i've been trying to figure out how to disable that, i can't find it in the cmos or a jumper.

I have a ECS M925 board
1.6 gig p4
512 ddr pc 2400
wireless b card in one of the pci slots
nic in the other pci slot

so i think it maybe the power supply, post what you all think again please :) and thank you

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Ah. I was hoping you wouldn't say you had that paticular board :(

I would strongly recommend asking at the PCChips lottery and DEFINATELY getting a larger power supply, at least 300/350watts.

ECS is a subsitiary of PC Chips and onboard video can cause severe compatiblity problems

http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142-bin/cgi-bin/ibrd/topic.cgi?forum=8&topic=43

http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142-bin/cgi-bin/ibrd/forums.cgi?forum=8

Some in the athlon forums of the same site have found methods of getting GeForce cards to operate but the procedure is a little complex

Now one thing I don't know is that card AGP 2.0 compliant? or AGP 3.0 compliant?, as an AGP 3.0 compliant card can do 4x but not on a AGP 2.0 motherboard, meaning too bad if thats the case.

ANother thing too, it seems that motherboard doesn't have proper "clamping" on the AGP slot, so it is EXTREMELY picky with how the video card is seated, sometimes you have to reseat the card 10 times or more, each time making sure it is either toward the very front of the slot or very back depending on the card, odd yes but the slot wasn't designed very well.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.