Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am unable to get help from Gateway since they sold their Business line to MPC, and they have gone under. I have an E-Seried 4100 desktop, and I had to replace the hard drive. I did not know it had an intrusion switch. I finally got it reset, but it went off again and now all the computer does is turn on, the hard drive comes on, CD spins for a sec, but nothing at all on the monitor or anywhere. I have tried removing the CMOS/BIOS Battery and that worked the first time, but it isnt working anymore. I really need to use this computer! Does anyone know a way to reset the switch?

Thanks!
Ross

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Go into the BIOS and disable it.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Sorry I do not know the case so I do not no how the CI Sw is laid out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is laid out like this:
On the back where all the ports are, the switch is on the far right corner. It plugs into a jumper in the front left corner of the case with a blue/white wire. Underneath the PSU is the BIOS Battery. I removed that to see if it would help, but it did not. I can send a pic if u would like.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Does the switch have like a lever that flips when you open it? If so move the switch to the closed position and tape it in place.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The intrusion switch setup in the photos appears to be pretty straightforward and simple. Can you access the wires to the switch at either end.? If so, do you have and know how to use a multimeter?

It should be be relatively easy to check the switch for proper operation. If you decide to do this, I suggest you avoid connecting the meter leads to the switch while it is connected to the mobo. Unless you have a very good idea about what you are doing with any kind of measurement device, connecting to anything on the mobo can result in real problems. Additionally, if you are doing anything inside the computer chassis, always disconnect the power cord and press/hold the Power switch for a few seconds to discharge any capacitors in the power circuits.

Since what you were doing was installing a new HDD, are you sure all connections are properly mated at both the component and mobo ends. loose connectors inside a computer can yield all kinds of strange symptoms. Check ALL connections, not just the HDD connections. Do you know for sure the hard drive you installed is a good one?

I question all this because a faulty or stuck or non-operating intrusion switch should not allow anything at all to happen when you hit the power button. The computer should just stay off.

Raybro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not that experienced with a multimeter. Yes, I can get to them at either end. Yes, I am sure it is a good HDD. I even put the old HDD back in, and it did not work. The old one was just 99% full so i got a bigger one. It still does not work with the old HDD, and I am sure it is good.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Here is what I would try in your situation. Get the computer set up to start except leave the cover off. Manually hold the intrusion switch as it should be when the cover is on. Hit the power button and see what you get. Obviously, you must keep the intrusion switch closed.

Alternatively, you could take something non-metallic but rigid (like a small, flat piece of wood or plastic) and tape it securely so the switch is pressed.

This sort of exercise is pretty shadetree in nature but, if one understands the principles involved, they can be helpful in understanding the basic cause of a problem. If you are not comfortable with it, I suggest you not do it.

Raybro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.