Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there... my younger brother's iMac has crashed, per the following note he sent via email @ library computer:

Here be what happened: I was on twitter, yahoo.com email, facebook and was opening a link. Before I started to open the link, an 'updated' firefox box came up, which i downsized as didn't want to do it then. While the link was trying to open, I got the rainbow circle of death. After about 5 minutes and seeing it wasn't going away, I tried to "force quit" using my keypad commands to bring up the force quit box, but nothing. I tried a few more times, nothing. So being frustrated and unable to shut it off with the back power on/off button, I shut it off at the powersupply/surge protector.

When i try to restart it next and every time after that, i get the mac 'ding' noise as normal, my keyboard 'capslock' button blinks and then a whiteish screen comes up and stays. After 3 minutes, it flashes to a yellow for a millisecond, then goes to a gray screen. After about one to two more minutes, I get the little file icon that alternates from a 'smiley face' to a question mark. I never have use of any of my peripherals like mouse or keyboard. I have no commands available. So I just turned it off with the power on/off button at the back of the iMac.

The iMac is a G5, 20"

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Reason why state in the title if this is a HD crash, is due to prelim info he received from Apple support... I don't know if I buy that thought, but suppose it could be possible. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
1. Find the Mac OS X disc 1 and boot from it (insert disc, reboot and hold down C key)
2. Go through first 2 or three screens on wizard and you should see a menu at the top
(do NOT go through with the install)
3. Select Disk Utility on the tools or utility menu
4. Do a repair of the hard disk
5. Reboot and see if it boots ok this time.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peterh40 - thanks, just sent your recommendations to him... appreciate the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.