Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been messing with my attempt at setting up an FTP server for almost two weeks. I can't access any of the files I have uploaded. This is what I have done to this point.

Set up ftp server with my hosting company
Set up two individual accounts, one with full access and one with partial access (assuming when I use "/" and nothing after it, it gives full access)
Downloaded WS-FTP and transferred a sample file, it shows in the right pane.
When I go to ftp://domainname.com, I put in my user [email protected] and my password and nothing is there.

I have checked to make sure my folders aren't hidden and checked the passive FTP box.

I have to have this set up tomorrow so a client can send us files. If anyone is willing to look at this, I would be happy to give you the test accounts to check. I am at a total loss.

Thanks.

Nancy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I decided to check my C Panel under file manager and the sample files I made up don't show there. If they aren't shown on my file manager, then I am thinking they aren't there and the FTP program didn't really upload them even though it shows?

Still digging.

Nancy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe I figured this out myself. Frontpage extensions were enabled, so the files were going to the public/html file instead of public/ftp.

I have my accounts set up with their various restrictions, but I need to figure out the next step. I have clients that need to be able to log in and place files on the site. How do I do that? Do I set up an account for them and they will use an FTP client and upload just like I do on my end?

If that is the case, then I would set them up with restrictions to their file only and they could only upload to their own file?

That makes sense, but I want to make sure.

Thanks.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what you need to do now.
Login to your C-Panel, create a folder you wnat them to have access to. Setup thier ftp account and then set permissions on the folder to read/write for their ftp account. Try it out to ensure they only have access to that folder, then if your sure they cant access the root, send them the restricted ftp account information to your hosting account.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.