Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I've been a Eudora user and would frequently debate with a friend the benefits of Eudora vs. Outlook. Recently, I spent a few weeks working with him and had to use Outlook and decided it's not so bad after all. I thought I'd convert to Outlook, but soon afterwards discovered a problem (in my mind, anyway) that I can't seem to work around:

Like most people, I organize my emails in folders and I move both the sent and received messages into those folders. With Eudora, the "Who" column will show "From" for incoming messages and "To" for outgoing messages, which makes perfect sense to me. After all, I know that I received the messages I received and I sent the messages I sent. Problem is that with Outlook, the From and To are two separate columns. The From column is in the default view for most views except sent, where the To column is there instead. I guess this seems to make sense too, but I prefer the other way, so if I need to see an entire thread with a particular person I can just sort on the "who" column to group all the messages from AND to that person together. I can't do that if From and To are separate columns.

So after this long winded setup (sorry 'bout that) my question is, can the From and To fields be combined into a single column, then made a part of all views?

Thanks,
Dino

·
Registered
579 Posts
To achieve what you want to do you'd have to place all your sent and received messages in a single file (otherwise you'd still have just your name in either the To or From column depending on whether you were viewing sent or received mail), which would be rather messy I think.

On the other hand you can easily change the displayed fields to present the 'To' column and not the 'From' column for sent messages. And if you right click on a message without opening it you can choose 'Find All' from the drop-down box and then select either 'Related messages' or 'Messages from sender'. If you open a message you can also use View - Previous/Next to see the previous or next item in the conversation topic.

I don't know whether the Outlook method is worse or better than the Eudora method...for most people I guess it's more a matter of preferring the system they are used to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.