Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz Black Edition
Memory: 1x Corsair Value Select 2GB 667MHz DDR2
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512mb
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Motherboard: Asus M2N E-SLi
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W

Around a week ago my PC froze up (cursor and everything) while I was just browsing the web, this was the first time I've experienced something like this so I just restarted and ignored it. It happened again a few times following this and started to happen more and more frequently.

Yesterday I turned the PC on after it being off for nearly 24 hours previously and it froze as soon as Windows had finished loading. I restarted and it froze while on the blue XP "Welcome" screen. After a few further attempts I noticed that it had froze on the BIOS startup screen. After that I got past the windows loading screen but the "Welcome" screen was black with a few specs of colour showing through. I switched it off at the plug and came back an hour later and it loaded fine, I was on windows for a few hours before it happened again.

Today I have been having the same problems and I just cannot get on to Windows. Infact it rarely gets past the BIOS startup screen now. Half the time it wont even complete POST, and once when it did it gave me a continous beep.

I have tried unplugging the hard drive and the DVD drive which made no difference. I tried switching the RAM for a different stick but again nothing. I also tried clearing the RTC RAM but again the PC just freezes at the BIOS startup screen.

I can no longer get in to BIOS settings far enough to get any temperatures, but I have been monitoring them recently before this problem and the CPU has been running fairly hot recently, around 48C idle, and up into low 60's when playing games, for this reason I haven't been using it for games until I can get hold of some compressed air and some thermal paste. Due to the way that the more frequently I try the worse the problem gets I'm suspecting that maybe heat is the problem, and that maybe now the CPU may be fried. I just don't want to spend all my money on a new one if it turns out to be something else.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
unfortunately i dont have a good solution for u as i have a similar problem already posted.

I thought it might be worth noting that we both have amd athlon x2s (yours is a bit faster 3.2ghz to my 3.0) and asus motherboards ( different models). Could just be coincidence but maybe theres more to it. If i get a solution for mine ill send it over your way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run close to what you do too. I had the same problem not but 2 weeks ago, but mine turned into the BSD.

I'm fixed now though. I tried the same things you did too. I finally found the problem because I got sick and tired of putting the panel on and then taking it right back off so I left it off. It worked ok, but not great, when the panel was off. I touched my heat synce on my processor and it just about burned me. Found my problem. The fan on my processor heat sync was spinning so I didn't pay all that close attention to it. It was spinning but not very fast, not even fast enough to cool the processor down. That may be something that you want to check and see if it does any good.
If that is not the problem, then I would reset your bios. There's a jumper on your motherboard that will allow you to do this. You may have to find the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fan seems to be spinning fine, but it still needs to be cleaned out so maybe it's catching on some dust? I've reset the BIOS and had no luck I'm afraid. It doesn't seem to complete POST at all anymore. Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe some type of bad hardware? Try opening your computer and cleaning it entirely with a compressed air duster can to remove dust. If it is possible, get to your Event Viewer and view all the system errors for freezing errors.:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
after calling asus tech support for the fourth time they have requested that i ship my mobo in and let them repair/replace it. They seem to think something is causing the southbridge to overheat. I will try to keep you posted but they expect it to be 10 to 14 days after i get a chance to package and ship it off not to mention travel time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.