Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my computer runs windows 98 but recently it keeps freezing up. this sometimes happens when on the internet and often when running file sharing program morpheus. its not just on the net though and has happened nearly every time i run excel. does anybody know why this might be happening?
i don't know much about computer but when running IE and Morpheus the perfomance bit on my computer said i still had 62% system resources left free.
one last bit, and which shows how little i know about computers, but should i feel warm or cold air blowing out when i put my hand behind the computer. i only ask because a friend put the computer together and i have heard of people putting fans in back to front and this causing problems with overheating.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The fan on the back of the computer should be blowing out. The temperature will depend on how hot it runs and how warm or cold the room is, but normally, it will be just a bit warm.
Del

·
Registered
824 Posts
if this just started happening, chances are that it's not due to overheating.

If you're constanly locking up when running specific programs then it's probably a driver conflict of some sort.

Go to the Morpheus website, check if there are any new driver updates, if so download them.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Some additional things which need to be ruled out are so-called "spyware" applications which can cause conflicts. I suspect with morpheus installed you may have gotten some with it. To run a scan, go to the lavasoft site and use Ad-aware. Read the "getting started" and FAQ pages before running it and know how to restore from the backup it creates if needed:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Have you run an updated antivirus scan? If you don't have one, you can do an online scan here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

After doing the above, if you still have problems, you might try reducing hardware acceleration for your video driver. To do this, right click My Computer, select Properties>Performance>Graphics and reduce one notch to the left. You will have to restart afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't have a virus thankfully, but couldn't access the lavasoft website. i'll will try a new driver for morpheus. but there is still the problem that it doesn't always happen during morpheus or any other programs running. and it seems to happen often during excel. i have lotus and office installed, might there be a conflict here? how do i uninstall lotus, even if that is not the problem i would like to get rid of lotus anyway since no-one uses it
con79

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hi Con... system resources may be to low to run a program when this happens. I know you said 62%.... but 62% of what? How much RAM do you have to begin with?

Also... you may want to click on Ctrl - Alt - Delete &
see how many things are running
After a cold boot also.... click on Ctrl - Alt - Delete &
see how many things are running. You may have to many things in your start-up... in which case you'll need to uncheck some of them in
Startup in msconfig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.