Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dual booting my system with xp & Fedora. I had a need to get the Fedora space back to the windows. For that I format the linux partitions successfully & I have created NTFS partition on that space.
Before formatting, the linux partition could be observed(not read) has a partition named as "Local Disk" with a drive letter. After formatting I tried to assign the same drive letter to the NTFS, but it said the drive letter is in use. So now I have a different drive letter assigned to that partition.
Everything is fine though. The problem is that in the "My Computer" window I can still see the "Local Disk" partition containing the same drive letter, but additionally with a big red question mark(probably indicating that the partition is unavailable). As far as this remains I can't create a partition with that particular drive letter. Anyway this isn't a big issue for the OS's functionality, it looks like an ugly piece of icon. I want to get rid of this. I think this is something related to a mount point. Anybody encountered smilar issue?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Have you tried deleting the partition, then recreating it and format as NTFS?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't

I just format the partition and created an NTFS on it. I guess I should have deleted the partition before making the NTFS. Anyway I'm using the space with the new NTFS, & now I've considerable amount of data in it, which I can't even move into another partition to delete & remake it.
That should be the reason. If simply formatted that particular partition still exist, while data being vanished. Isn't it so?
And I forgot to say about in the previous post that, the partition I have created on the formatted space shows with 2 drive letters L: & P:. I can browse files from both drive icons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.