Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm pretty dumb when it comes to operating systems and this is probably a dumb question but here I go...I've got windows 2000 professional on my system and I want to format my hard drive (I have no partitions) but I cannot seem to be able to get to dos at start up to do so. I've tried to boot from a boot disk and I setup bios to boot from a disk. It wouldn't work, (this is probably due to the fact that I made a boot disk from the Windows 2000 CD itself). I've tried to get the windows 2000 cd to format my hard drive nothing will work. Could I get some help, I'm sure its probably something simple but its frustrating me. I just want to format my hard drive...that's all.
thanks

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
What OS are you going to put on after you format?
If 2000:
If you boot with the Windows 2000 cd, you should have the option for a clean install which should then give you the option to choose which partition to install to (you have one) and then the option to format it.
Otherwise, I don't see why you could boot with a Windows 98 boot disk and run fdisk to delete the partition and then boot with the Windows 2000 cd to install (it can create the partition for you). (There's a small bit of doubt about fdisk on Windows 98 startup disk and NTFS partitions but I'm almost sure you can do it)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.