Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course most of you may already know all about this, but, anyway...

For fast scrolling down a page, (such as many of the muti-page Random Discussion threads here), or any web page that exceeds your screen, just hit the SPACE bar... you'll zoom down!
To scroll UP , hold SHIFT and space bar to ZOOM up!

credit: 1/2 techTV, 1/2 me pushing buttons......

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Here's another that everyone but me probably knew...
If you have a wheel mouse click the wheel then just move the mouse up or down..I had my mouse for 2 months before I found that little feature :eek:

buck

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Thats cool... thanks for the tip RT... Buck I just got a wheel mouse & I didn't know what it was for either...didn't take me but a few hrs to find out though..lol

Savvy :)

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, buck,

Heck, now it's gonna take me a while to get the hit the "ghost" target!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey,
verry cool! (the keyboard way)
I also took a while to learn the click wheel trick, all the while manually rolling it saying "what's so great about a wheel...."

·
Registered
17 Posts
One of my favorite tricks, which I'm sure has been mentioned here before, is to hold ctrl and scroll up or down with a wheel mouse. It helps these tired eyes by increasing or decreasing the font. While it does work on this site, it doesn't on all.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a valuable tip, and I use it often.
It only works on text though, not images, so if you want a closer look at those thumbnails, I guess you goota click to enlarge. :)

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
so when you guys got those scroll mouses (aka "wheel mouse") didn't it strike you immediately what the "scroller" was for? hehehe... just thought I assail you guys a bit... I just can't use a computer without one...

·
Registered
90 Posts
YeooooW!
Ctrl + roll, what fun I had no clue!! Even if I never use it I just love learning trix like these!

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HOLY COW!

I just found out if you hold SHIFT and down roll your mouse wheel, your browser
(IE, in my case, should have mentioned earlier)
will react like hitting the BACK button!

Am I nuts or does that work for anyone else?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wowwww,
It works for me!
I haven't had this much fun since I took my mom's magnifying glass out to the ant hill one sunny day long ago.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I don't know if this is true for all makes of wheel mouse, but you can 'program' what the buttons do.
Either open the mouse from the sys tray if it has an icon there or in Control Panel if it doesn't.

I always assign "Undo" to the 'middle button' (i.e. depressing the wheel) and now find it a pain when I use a "wheel-less" mouse and don't have this facility. If you don't want undo, there are plenty of other commands there too.

Squeak

Gram

·
Registered
62,561 Posts
I just have a Logitech cordless 3 button mouse but I can program a lot of things that the buttons do.
Have no scroll but have it so I can pick page-up or page-down.

41 things that each button can do and that for this old non-scroll mouse.
The new ones I guess have twice that plus more buttons.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whew!
Technology is quickly outdating my tip! :D

Hope to get one of those "seeing eye- no tail" mices for Christmas!

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which is faster, the space bar scroll, or just use page up/down?

Works about the same for me, I guess it depends on where your fingers are for the best use .....

(Let's just forget about the the little up/down arrow bar at the right of the screen that you can manipulate with your mouse) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.