Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
formatted my pc other day and just put all my fonts back into the C:\Windows\Fonts folder to use in things such as word, frontpage, photoshop etc....

Started with the basic fonts with windows and now have 1139 fonts all together in that folder.

When i open a program such as word, photoshop etc... i can only use the few fonts that were there before.

Why cant i use all my new fonts ive added? They all worked before when i added them.

Cheers
rob

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
You have to install the fonts. You can not just put the fonts in the font folder.
That is a lot of fonts and it's best to have 500 or less in your font folder because it will slow your PC down.

Now you can use fonts that are not installed but you have to open the font up and keep it open. Then in what every program you using look tru the font list for OTHER and click on it and you see the font.
But you have to keep the font open to see it in the other list.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
My OS is WinXP. This is how I install fonts. It should be similar for other Windos OS's.

Open Fonts in Control Panel.
On the File menu, click Install New Font.
In Drives, click the drive you want.
In Folders, double-click the folder that contains the fonts you want to add.

In List of fonts, click the font you want to add, and then click OK.
To add all of the listed fonts, click Select All, and then click OK.

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Schnitzu just said how to install fonts but having that many installed will slow down your PC.

You know many of the fonts you will not use or use only now and then so you can have all of them in another folder and use them like I said above.

I have 343 fonts installed in my font folder.
I have some image program that installed fonts but they made there own folder for this.
Then I have a folder I made for fonts that I may use now and then but they are not installed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
you can view side- by -side open folders1.your collection of fonts,2. your font folder in control panel ...drag 'n' drop fonts to the font folder to activate them

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i downloaded a free proram called The Font Thing and installed just a few fonts like hewee suggested and the program worked. I opened word and they are now in the font list.

Thanks for the help

:D

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
What I was saying is that you can open a font file and then in your program go to the list of fonts and pick other. Then when you get the box that comes up that font will be there to pick and use.
But you are using it and it was never installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.