Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I'm on the internet (in IE7, Windows XP), I click a link (or right-click and open link in new window). Then I click back to the first window and continue reading. When the second page has opened (not even fully loaded), it becomes the active window, jumps to the front, grabs focus.

This doesn't happen all the time - I think it is dependent on just what is in that second window.

Similarly, when I start an application and then click back to my open webpage, when the app has loaded it becomes active. Again, this isn't the case with all software.
If I start the Crystal Reports software, it doesn't steal focus. However, if I start an existing Crystal file, it does.
If I start any of the MS Office programs, they don't steal focus. If I open an Excel file that contains macros (and displays the Disable / Enable macros options when started), then it does.

I have checked the Reg key: HKEY_CurrentUser > Control Panel > Desktop > ForegroundLockTimeout and the value is set to 200000 (decimal). The ForegroundFlashCount key is set to 2. And it's not a case of these things being reset by some 3rd party software.

So I'm guessing that the reg key doesn't extend to freshly opened items. I've messed about with these settings to see if I can fix the issue, but thus far it hasn't worked.
Oh, and I cannot install TweakUI on this machine, but I think the setting only changes that same reg key anyway.

So, is there any way to stop newly opened windows from becoming active at all, until the user clicks the window's icon on the taskbar?

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
While its opening, no, programs make calls for last loaded profiles or prompt for new instruction, multi-part modules load; same thing for web pages except if you can confugure it to always open in the background, it won't. I thought if you center clicked a link in IE, it would open in a new Tab and stay in the background. Try that if you haven't, a new window is not going to work unless you have the background option but a new tab should stay out of the way.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I'll just have to live with it then. A faster machine and better broadband connection would save me some hassles, as apps and webpages would open quicker, so I wouldn't be left hanging about for so long, but sadly that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

The centre-click thing doesn't appear to work, though it may be an IE7 setting that can be modified. Problem there is, the rights I have for IE7 on this machine are limited (I have access to the General tab under Internet Options, everything on the Connections tab is greyed out, and no other tabs).
Ho-hum.

Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Are you limited to IE7 only, and in using IE7, you are also limited to open in new window only, without the use of open in new tab?

If so, I feel for you since it would drive me mad not to be able to open several links seamlessly on new tabs in the background as I read uninterupted from the first.

The enable tabbed browsing setting is under General>Tabs>Settings if that can possibly help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.