Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fedora 11 64 bit. AMD processor Asus mother board.

The floppy icon is missing from the palces where one wouls expect to see it. Computer (on the desktop), it is not in the file browser. The floppy device is present, /dev/fd0.

By putting the appopiate entry in /etc/fstab the floppy can be mounted and unmounted manually.

When mounted there is an icon of a disk (mounted) showing in computer, file browser etc. IF ou try to unmount is by right clicking it unmounts but one has to re manually remount it.

There is no acion like the is with a CD or DVD where there is a greyed Icon present when there is no disk in the drive and the icon changes to show a disk when the disk is in the drive. If you then unmount the CD but leave the disk in the drive it can be remounted by clicking the icon aand the icon will change to sho it is mounted.

with the floppy there is no icon to statrt with. If you then mount the disk manually (as there is no other way I have found) you get a disk icon to shoe the disk is mounted. If you right click on the icon and unmount the disk the icon disappears. This means to remount teh disk, even if you take the disk out of the drive and re insert it one has to remount the diak manually.

I had a similr problem in Fediora 10 but fedora 8 works corrctly.

I was wondering if any one has any ideas as to what the issue is.

By the way why do I want a floppy. Well I have a software package which is a "MUST" with no alternative that I need to get loaded.
I ahve treid several different brands of drive as well as many different cables. The BOIS has the floppy activated. I can read the disks in other machines and i can swao the drive to other machines and it works.

Any way any ideas are welcome

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Ask your question at FedoraForum.org. You will probably get a knowledgeable answer there.

-- Tom

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
My feeling is you are asking the distro to mount the device for you automatically and that is up to the developers who put the system together. Thus they have to choose a name (call it fd0 or floppy or floppy0?) for it and make the decision which directory should it be mouted, /media or /mnt.

Like you said the hardware is detected at a hard ware level and reported in /dev/fd0. The rest is up to you to arrange. Once mounted the floppy can be removed or reinserted and there should be no need for a remount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.