Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flash Memory Drives :up:

A flash memory drive (a.k.a. thumb drive or USB drive) consists of a chip of memory (flash) mounted in a plastic case with a USB interface on one end (see the illustration for some examples). With Windows Me, 2000, XP and Macintosh computers, flash memory drives automatically get recognized as another storage drive on your computer. No installation CD's, no formatting, just fast, safe removable storage.

In addition to their instant recognition and portability, flash drives offer the BEST way to backup day-to-day information like financial data, address books, genealogy, word processing documents, and spreadsheet documents.

Two other great advantages of flash drives are their speed and durability. You can copy 200 megabytes worth of data (literally thousands of word processing documents), in less than a minute! And because there are NO moving parts, the memory is quite stable and long lasting.

To use a flash memory drive, follow these steps:

Insert the drive into a USB port on your computer.

Wait approximately a minute (first time only) for the computer to recognize and install the device (Windows 98 need to install a driver)

Double-Click your My Computer icon to verify that another drive shows up (usually the first letter after your CD-ROM

In Windows XP, you can now RIGHT click on any folder or file and then Click Send To ---> Removable Drive. This will instantly make a copy of the document or folder on your flash drive.

In Windows Me or 2000, you can copy and paste a folder or file to the flash drive or open the flash drive in a new window and drag your files to it

If you use a financial program, simply use the program's built-in backup function and have it back up to your flash drive

To delete information from a flash memory drive, open up its icon in My Computer, then click on the file or folder you want to delete, and push DELETE on your keyboard

For the mobile professional or the computer user who wants to have a quick, handy backup of important data, flash drives make the best sense. You don't, however, want to use flash drives for storing information like pictures or music since CD's can store this type of information at a much lower cost/megabyte than flash drives.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Hello Frank,

What a coincidence - I've just opened the cake tin to have a slice of Dundee cake and then checked my messages to find your post above!

Are you thinking of purchasing a flash drive? You could have one for your birthday.

Bye,
Penny. :)

·
Registered
37,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tuppence2 said:
Hello Frank,

What a coincidence - I've just opened the cake tin to have a slice of Dundee cake and then checked my messages to find your post above!

Are you thinking of purchasing a flash drive? You could have one for your birthday.

Bye,
What another coincidence We got a fruit cake from Carole Aunt on the week-end ........ :eek:

A flash drive for my birthday that would be nice, should I send you a stamped addressed envelope........ :D :D :D :p

Have a nice day,

cu Frank. :)

·
Registered
62,561 Posts
I got a flash drive for xmas. It is a SanDisk 128 MB my sister got for free after buying something else so gave it to me. But they are nice to have. She was over here and I took pictures with my camera and she said can I get the pictures from you now. I was going to burn them to a CD or email them to here but she said yea just put them on my Flash drive. She takes it will here every where she goes so it makes it nice to get or to give data, pictures to others easy.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Hello Frank.

Hee, hee. :) Bet all the cake disappeared very quickly!

Start dropping hints to Carole - you never know!

If I ever get a spare one (not that I've got one at all, yet), I'll certainly sending it winging your way!

It's half-time in the Manchester United/Chelsea match. Do you want to know the score? Do you get "Sky" TV over there?

Bye,

Bye,
Penny.

·
Registered
706 Posts
HINT/TIP: If you run Win98 or ME or ??, you'll possibly need the driver for the flash memory stick...I copied the driver to a floppy...if someone I am visiting has files, pics or whatever, I can load the drivers quickly and then use the stick...just a heads up!

·
Registered
37,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tuppence2 said:
Hello Frank.

Hee, hee. :) Bet all the cake disappeared very quickly!

Start dropping hints to Carole - you never know!

If I ever get a spare one (not that I've got one at all, yet), I'll certainly sending it winging your way!

It's half-time in the Manchester United/Chelsea match. Do you want to know the score? Do you get "Sky" TV over there?

Bye,

Bye,
Penny.
Hi Penny......

Still lots of fruit cake left, it was a big one :D

Didn't get to see the Man U v Chelsea game saw the score later on the computer, :up:

Looking forward to the final....... Liverpool vs Chelsea should be a good one, hope we get it on TV here :)

As for your two week visit, no problemo come on over your always welcome :up:

cu later,

Frank. ;)

·
Registered
37,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hewee said:
Yes it was nice Penny. But yes they are great to have because you can keep one with you and have it to take something some where or get something. They even make some that are made to get knocked around.
Hi hewee,

So they are as good as they say then ?

Will have to get one,

They vary a lot in price, anything from $28 up into the $60 range depending on the size.

But they do sound useful.

cu Frank.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Hello Frank,

I'll have a piece of that cake with my sherry, please! :D Just poured a small glass to drink while watching the skating.

Thanks very much for your kind offer. A holiday over there may have to wait until Billy's no longer with me as she would be so upset with strangers in the house (to look after the dogs - it's a problem) and I don't want them in kennels as they were rescues.

I'll make it one day!

I enjoyed the Man U v Chelsea game. Can't you get "Sky" TV over there? When is the final?

Back to the final group of skaters.

See you later,
Bye,
Penny.:)

·
Registered
62,561 Posts
Your welcome Penny.
Yes they can be very handy to have. My sister had a part time PC tech job for the state and everyone had them because they could take it with them so easy to each PC they worked on.

Yes if you have Win98 your have to go to there website for the drivers.
Also I don't know if it is the same on all flash drives or not but mine say "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ( Compatible with USB 1.1)"
So it works on my PC that has USB 1.1

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
As mentioned, Windows 98 does need drivers for USB Flash Drives, but they are small and can easily fit on a floppy. Whoever your device manufacturer is should have free drivers available.

WinXP has USB drivers built in for most (maybe all?) USB devices.
However WinXP, before SP1, only had drivers for USB1.1 (up to 12Mbps)
WinXP SP1 got the improved drivers for USB2.0 (12Mbps and 480Mbps).
(But if your physical motherboard or USB interface is just USB1.1 the newer drivers will not get you any increase of speed.)

The pin out, the physical connection, for USB1.1 and USB2.0 is identical. You can plug one into the other with no problem. The difference between the two is the circuitry internal to the device and the circuit board.

There are no differences in USB1.1 and 2.0 cables, other than better shielding and a better specification with 2.0. They are wired the same.

Of course, any combination of hi to lower speed devices or ports you will be limited to the slower item.
(A “USB 1.1 cable” will not limit your transfer speed between USB2.0 devices to 1.1 speed for short runs.
Longer runs may have some noise issues and cause some degradation of speed.)

If you have WinXP SP1, or higher, installed on a computer that has only USB1.1 ports, and if you then plug a USB2.0 hi-speed device into that USB1.1 port you will see a Windows informational message that your device performance would improve if you plug your hi-speed device into a hi-speed port.

And finally,
The latest motherboards may have a BIOS that will permit you to have a bootable USB device. So you could possibly load boot software on a Flash Drive and boot from it, pretty handy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.