Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plug and play USB Belkin Flash Drive 128 meg and 2000 will not even see it. The Belkin site says 2000 has its own drivers for this, anyone know what might be wrong?
Could it be it I need a new USB port, what is the latest one called "series 2" or something?
I installed it on a computer with Windows 98 using a driver from the Belkin site, but on my 2000 it will not work.

Thanks

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
That would be correct. You dont need any drives for USB flash drives on windows 2000. Check your Device Manager to make sure there are not any conflicts or to make sure the USB drivers are installed.

Right Click my computer > properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
If your USB Belkin Flash Drive is usb 2 you will need to download drivers for 2000 they do not come with the usb 2 drivers as an original part of the os.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, you don't need USB 2.0 drivers to use the USB drive, only if you have USB 2.0 hardware. You should be able to plug in a USB storage device into any ME/2K/XP system and have it recognized without any drivers.

If you install a USB 2.0 card on 98/ME/2K, you need to install the USB 2.0 drivers "for the card", they have nothing to do with USB storage devices.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Your right johnwill i was just on my first cup of java he!he! sorry.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
If your useing a non-powered usb hub, there may not be enough power being delivered to the device to operate. Try unplugging a few USB devices. Also, try the add\remove hardware in the control panel.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
FWIW, I'd try the device directly with no hub. I've had a variety of issues plugging stuff into hubs, and I suspect the disks are no different. Most of my computers have many USB 2.0 ports, so I don't have any hubs in use here now.

·
Super Moderator
46,554 Posts
Originally posted by MrBillPro:
If your USB Belkin Flash Drive is usb 2 you will need to download drivers for 2000 they do not come with the usb 2 drivers as an original part of the os.
SP4 for win2k and sp1 for xp install usb 2.0 support. As long as you stay updated, you will not need to install seperate 2.0 drivers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had, all along, service pak 4 on my 2000. I have no idea what I need to do now. It works on my 98 (with Belkin driver downloaded from their site) and my xp, but not on my 2000.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
46,554 Posts
Have you looked at device manager to see if there are any devices that have yellow or red marks next to them? Have you tried plugging it into another usb port? Does this device plug into a usb port on the back of the computer or are you plugging it into a usb hub?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does this device plug into a usb port on the back of the computer or are you plugging it into a usb hub?
What is the difference in a "hub" and a "port"? I have a USB card (with two places to plug into} plugged into a slot in the computer motherboard. The computer did not come with a builtin USB port.

·
Super Moderator
46,554 Posts
Ok, that is not a hub. Go to device manager and see if the card is listed and if it is installed correctly. If it is functioning correctly, it will so state in device manager under properties.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Originally posted by LwdSquashman:
That would be correct. You dont need any drives for USB flash drives on windows 2000. Check your Device Manager to make sure there are not any conflicts or to make sure the USB drivers are installed.

Right Click my computer > properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager.
As I stated yesterday. The first reply of this thread. Did you do this. Are there any yellow or red marks under your usb devices.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
crjdriver your right! I was thinking windows 2000 (including service pack 4) do not support IEEE 1394

The computer did not come with a builtin USB port.

That board must go way back with no built in usb support
what motherboard do you have?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry I didn't answer the question before.
No there are no yellow flags there.

This is what is listed under the USB Controller tab

SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Root Hub

·
Super Moderator
46,554 Posts
If it shows that the device [usb host controller] is working correctly, what happens when you plug something else into the card? Any other device such as digital camera, printer etc. Does the os recognize other devices?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.