Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Yesterday I helped my mum order a laptop online, and also a Netgear WGT624 Router (I have a Virgin Media Cable connection), and I agreed to help her use both the internet and the laptop (she has zero computing knowledge). But I have a few questions, as it is my first time using both a shared connection, and wireless.

Firstly, I have Windows Vista Ultimate, and her laptop has Vista Home Basic. Will this be a problem when setting up the connection?

Secondly, will she be able to see everything that I have on my computer, or be able to see what I am downloading (and vice-versa)?

Can files be moved from one computer to another (ie can I send her a music file from my computer) via the wireless connection?

Take a look at the router here. I plan on using my computer with a cable, like I currently have (RJ-45 Cable from modem to PC), can this be done with the router (Modem to router, then RJ-45 from router to PC)?
Also, I have an Xbox 360 in my room. Can I plug that into one of the RJ-45 sockets on the router and use that online too? I currently connect it straight to my modem, but that required rebooting the modem and swapping out the cables, which is an pain in the behind.

What other basic but interesting things can be done with a wireless 'lan' connection that I can show my mum? Obviously these things can't be too complicated, because I need to explain them easily to her :)

I thank you for your help and patience with what I expect are some pretty basic questions.

Give me a PC to build and I'll have you up and running within the hour, but show me a broken internet connection and I haven't the faintest clue :p

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Firstly, I have Windows Vista Ultimate, and her laptop has Vista Home Basic. Will this be a problem when setting up the connection?
Nope, no issue at all.

Secondly, will she be able to see everything that I have on my computer, or be able to see what I am downloading (and vice-versa)?
Not unless you enable file/print sharing on your machine and allow her access.

Can files be moved from one computer to another (ie can I send her a music file from my computer) via the wireless connection?
Yep, if she has file/print sharing enabled, you can access her files.

Take a look at the router here. I plan on using my computer with a cable, like I currently have (RJ-45 Cable from modem to PC), can this be done with the router (Modem to router, then RJ-45 from router to PC)?
Yep, that's a very normal configuration. You want at least one wired connection to the router at least for configuration of the router anyway.

Also, I have an Xbox 360 in my room. Can I plug that into one of the RJ-45 sockets on the router and use that online too? I currently connect it straight to my modem, but that required rebooting the modem and swapping out the cables, which is an pain in the behind.
It's what a router is designed to do. :)

What other basic but interesting things can be done with a wireless 'lan' connection that I can show my mum? Obviously these things can't be too complicated, because I need to explain them easily to her :)
Well, she can carry the laptop around. ;) I'm not sure what you're looking for here...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the help, you have put my mind at ease :)

Regarding the last part - Everything I wrote down was what I could think of to do with a wireless connection. Is there anything else I could do with it, that's kind of cool?

Edit:: Also, is the file and print sharing a quick thing to start/stop? I just wondered if it would be possible to turn it on, share a file, then turn it back off :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I'm more in to "functionality" than "cool", so I don't have a lot of "cool" things I try to do with my laptop. ;)

You can allow shares and then disable them, it's not difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.