Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple of simple questions about Firefox. I just installed 2.0.0.1, which seems to be the latest version, and a couple of things bug me.

1. When I create a new tab, it's blank. I'd like it to have the option to go to my home page so I don't have to do it manually. I can't seem to find where I'd configure that.
  2. When I open a new tab, with the configuration to go to the tab immediately, that appears to work. I can use the mouse scroll wheel to move the page. However, I can't use the page up/down keys until I click on the page, very annoying. Is there a way to fix that?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
For the open new tab in your home page, you may have to use an extension. Information here.
Firefox 2.0: Make New Tabs Always open your Homepage
Extension here.
Tabbrowser Preferences
browser.tabs.loadOnNewTab in about:config set to 1 should set it, but I don't think it works because I couldn't get it to work in mine.
I will check on the other problem because it works for me on my PC's, but does like you describe on my Mac.
Thought of one way to do this, just middle click your mouse on the Home icon and the new tab will open to your homepage.

John, after doing some experimenting, it seems to be web site specific. On my home page, Earthlink, the arrow keys will not work until I click in the web page. On this forum and all the other sites I tried, I can middle click, click, or open from Bookmarks and the arrow keys work without clicking in the page. I will test more.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, this forum is one that has the problem with the Page keys. :(

I'm using IE right now, I fired up Firefox and downloaded the new tab extension, that solved the one issue. :) I'm going to have to look at the extensions more, that's probably the way to fix a lot of behavior that I don't like at first. :)

I'm assuming one of these options is what is being discussed in the Tabbrowser Perferences you mention, but I sure don't see which one. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I guess you found the User Interface to load your home page in new tabs.
Your problem with scrolling with the arrow keys must be a problem with your Firefox. I have no problem with the keys in mine on this forum at all. I used the Select tabs when the mouse is moved onto them and it didn't make a difference on the web page that didn't scroll with the arrow keys before and the other ones still worked like before. So far, my Earthlink page is the only one that doesn't scroll with the keys unless I click in the page.:(

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why you're so unhappy, I'll bet you spend more time here than on Earthlink. :D I actually wanted to start using Firefox regularly, and this is really annoying enough to keep me using IE.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
You are right, I just use my Earthlink homepage to check stock.:) I would uninstall Firefox and delete the profile and Mozilla directory and reinstall it again. I am on my Mac now, and the arrow keys work on this forum on it. I have tried it on 3 computers that I have and it works on all, so I would think that the problem may be with your install. Don't give up on Firefox yet. :(

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I get a chance, I don't feel like doing that right now. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.