Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just downloaded/installed update Mozilla Firefox from v3.5.1 to v3.5.2 .

I've been trying out SeaMonkey for a couple of months now and like the simpler interface, but SeaMonkey seems to have a problem with TSG and a few other sites. It once in a while will not load the entire page. Really weird. No discernible pattern to it, completely random. Have to hit the Reload button to get it to fully load. Sometimes twice.

The primary reason I tried SeaMonkey in the first place was because of the known delay between hitting the FF icon and the program actually starting. It took as long as 7 seconds at one time or another. That has not changed significantly with the update. Seems a little shorter, about 3 seconds, but it's still there.

Another reason I went back to FF is they have a new (to me) add-on called "AdBlock Plus". This sucker not only blocks all ads on any site I've tried so far, but even blocks banner ads and spot ads on secure sites like my online bank. It also blocks the ads on TSG (sorry about that guys). The space where banners and/or ads usually appear just stays blank. I'm on dialup, so load time is important. Page load time for any given page is definitely decreased. Another feature I like about FF is, I like to use the Full Screen (F11) feature, and FF fills the entire screen. All you have to do to view the address bar and tab bar, is move the mouse to the top of the screen and it appears like a drop down menu would. Move the mouse down and it goes away again. I like that. :up: Wish it would do the same with the Task bar at the bottom.:mad:

So I've gone back to using FF as my default browser and thought I'd let others know about my experience with SeaMonkey.

BTW... I did post questions on the SeaMonkey forum about this behavior and got no meaningful response other than some others who had experienced the same problem.

Raybro

·
Banned
44,930 Posts
I'm a pleased FF user.
I'm currently using a 17" monitor, so F11 has been handy at several sites.
Also Shift+B alternates the Bookmark column off and on for a wider view.
RIP (Remove It Permanently) can also remove columns of advertising at some sites giving a better appearance, but it's does more of a job of removing those elements than stopping them from loading, so it won't seed up a page load. But it does make reading some sites a lot nicer.
Flash Block might also speed up your page loading a little on a dial up connection.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stoner... I'll check out Flash Block. Anything I can do to speed up page load is a something I'm interested in. :D

Raybro

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Also, look into the add on, ad block plus. find it right in your addon installer. Blocks ads. period. Ive personally gotten so used to it its strange using a browser with ads!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just went through an interesting exercise with FF. I've had the AdBlock Plug Add On running for a couple of days now and really like it. Without the adds, page load is almost as fast as cable :up: (I'm STILL on dialup :( )

To continue.... I had occasion to insert a screen shot as an attachment to a post and after posting, the box for an attachment appeared at the bottom of the post, but it was empty. :confused: So, I thought maybe I did something wrong and posted again with the attachment. Same thing. :confused::confused:

OK, so I opened SeaMonkey and the attachment was there on both posts. Gotta be something in FF. First thought was something to do with the AdBlock Add On. Went back to FF and looked at other posts with attached thumbnails. None were present. Disabled the TSG site in AdBlock. No change. Disabled Add On Plus completely . Closed and restarted FF. No change.

Thought about uninstalling AddBlock Plus, but remembered an old rule of thumb which has served me well over the years. Wherever ANYTHING strange or unexpected happens, before one goes and changes anything... DO A REBOOT FIRST!!!

As you have probably guessed, everything works just fine now. Got no idea what caused it, but will be watching for a repeat in the future.

Anyone else had anything like this?

Raybro

·
Trusted Advisor (deceased)
5,176 Posts
Raybro,
When you lost the thumbnails, were you using Addblock to block ALL blockable items?

For initial load time of the FF program, have you ever tried a Preloader? It gives one more thing that runs at startup (unless you're willing to wait a few seconds the first time you call Firefox) but it will bring up the program almost instantaneously after clicking the icon.

T. :)

·
Banned
44,930 Posts

Anyone else had anything like this?

Raybro
Yesterday I had trouble posting 2 images within the same post.
I had to upload one of the images twice.

Today I had the same issue as yours here: LINK
When I pasted the TSG url link for the image into my post, it then appeared in the attached thumbnail window.

I don't have this issue anywhere else, Rabro.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

·
Registered
178,353 Posts
I find FF always takes an age to open! I've tried cleaning out temp files before opening the browser but it's always the same.

·
5,176 Posts
A new profile WILL have a faster startup time due to not having to load the Add-ons, but as soon as you start adding baggage to it, it will slow down the loading.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've adopted the attitude that FF works so well compared to other alternate browsers I've tried and sooooooo much better than IE, that the startup delay is worth the wait. There may be the occasional glitch like that attachment thing (I'm not convinced that was a function of the browser), but show me a software program that doesn't at some time or another.

But then, I'm on dialup internet, so I'm kinda used to waiting. Plus I'm retired and time is what I have plenty of, so I think I'll just live with the startup delay and be happy with the overall better performance FF provides.

Raybro

·
5,176 Posts
Seriously Raybro, give the Preloader a try. If it doesn't work out for you, just uninstall it.
It can be set to either run at boot or on first call of Firefox. Once it's running and has Firefox loaded into memory, the only delay is the page loading (and that's mostly your connection speed), not the program.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seriously Raybro, give the Preloader a try. If it doesn't work out for you, just uninstall it.
It can be set to either run at boot or on first call of Firefox. Once it's running and has Firefox loaded into memory, the only delay is the page loading (and that's mostly your connection speed), not the program.
I've searched thorough Firefox Add Ons and cannot find one called Preloader. See attached

Attachments

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
it's not an add-on raybro, it's a stand alone app if it's what I think throoper is talking about

[webquote="http://lifehacker.com/353826/speed-up-firefox-launch-with-firefox-preloader"]Windows only: Free, open source application Firefox Preloader loads some components of Firefox into your computer's memory before you launch Firefox for the first time.[/webquote]

·
5,176 Posts
I can't recall as it's been a while, but I think it asks you to install the Yahoo Toolbar in the setup. One of those bundle deals. You can decline it if it does.
As with installing any program, pay attention to what you are OK'ing and clicking next on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.