Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fire fox 2 crash error in msvcrt.DLL sometimes in KERNEL.DLL also same errors with Earthlink task bar. my PC has been crashing often with the two .DLL 's This in the past this usualy means there is a conflict with another .DLL

Any Ideas
Thanks in advance :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hate to say this, but you need to upgrade your OS. The problem you are facing now and you will continue to face is what's called DLL hell. In your case you have msvcrt.DLL, a new program is installed and overwrites the current msvcrt.DLL and you'll have a problem, because programs might need parts of the old msvcrt.DLL that are not included in the new one and as a result you get crashes and errors. Later Operating Systems have mechanisms in place to avoid to avoid these kind of issues as much as possible. It's best solved in Vista at the expense of 5-10GB of hard drive space.

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
I have 98SE and have msvcrt.DLL version 6.10.9359.0 in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder dated...
Modified: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 6:05:04 PM
Created: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:43:48 PM

So something I installed on September 18, 2007 changed the version I had. Or I downloaded it from a site that said I need version so and so or above and they had the download or I went here and got it.
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcrt

Got version 6.10.8637.0 here. http://dll.softandco.com/dll/3/Msvcrt.dll.html

But the trouble may still be what IC8 said.
Windows Confidential: Getting Out of DLL Hell

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
I have a faultlog.txt file and see by looking up msvcrt.DLL I have not had it too bad with msvcrt.DLL showing up in a error.
Got these here.
Date 09/15/2006 Time 00:06
FIREFOX caused an exception 10H in module MSVCRT.DLL at 0177:7802e0af.
and
Date 02/18/2007 Time 15:57
IEDIT caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at 0177:7800b936.
and
Date 07/20/2007 Time 15:35
IEDIT caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at 0177:780088b8.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys for the info. I tryed overwriting the dll from disk...didn't help. So I reloaded earhlink. I have not had a error for a will. It will probably be fine until I load another program.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.