Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching out hard drives in my Compaq 5451, unfortuanatly I do not have the original software for the computer. I'm going to need the drivers to put on the new hard drive. How can I best accomplish this? I figure to put these drivers on a floppy or cd (it has a burner). Where are the drivers located on a drive. What file extensions do they have and what's the easiest way to transfer them all?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Why don't you just add the second hard drive and connect it so you have a C: and a D: and then copy and paste all on C: to D:.

After that remove C: and let D: become C:.

You won't need to look for drivers or installing them unless you want to do a clean install.

In that case you can go to the manufracturer site and download the drivers or go to the following sight and download them. Transfer them to a cd and then when asked for them direct the computer to the cd.

http://www.windrivers.com/company.htm

·
Registered
198 Posts
If I were doing it I would create a ghost image put it to disk, diasable the current c: then enable the new drive and put the ghost image onto it, done it quite a few times and it's always fairly easy..........

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's this about a ghost image? I don't beleive I have heard of this before (or if I have, knowing me, I've forgotten :p )

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Using a utility such as Norton Ghost you can make a ghost image - an identical copy of the entire drive compressed into one file. You can also use it to copy the image of an entire partition or drive onto another.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woah, neat!

Only goes to show you that you learn something new every day.....and I thought I knew everything when I was 14! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.