703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Say i had a list of strings like this

A2=Was
A3=Kilda
A4=was
a4=was
a5=was

I need something that will count up how many of each individual string in the range (a2:a<ect>) then return what one has the highest count. In this case, it's "was". I'm tallying votes for the school newspaper. I could use
=COUNTIF(bla:bla,bla), but that requires me to know each value type and then do a function for each, that is VERY inconvenient. So, no countif unless absolutley necessary

If i didn't explain it well enough, just let me know.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Do you need to differentiate between "Was" and "was"?

If not, you could use a very simple pivot table to summarise your data in seconds.

If you've never used pivot tables, I could post a sample workbook.

Rgds,
Andy

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, just kinda lazy right now, it's just a post.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, screw it all. Il'll just finish the sheet, and post it. Then an Excell expert can tally it up for me? Please?

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
A formula (array) is possible, the downside is that in some cases the highest number of votes is for blank.

To use a pivot table entirely effectively your data would have to be re-configured, but I couldn't be bothered to do that.

I've added a Sheet2. You can select a section from the dropdown at C2 to pull in the data (from Sheet1) to column A.

Then you just need to refresh the p-table (rightclick F3, select "Refresh") and re-sort (Z > A).

Also you need to clean up your data -- column B (Sheet1) contains "Klida" and "Kilida".

Rgds,
Andy

(Hi Brian! :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O_O... wow. would you look at that. Sheet 2 is... my god... How did you do that?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, im lost. I cant get the totals to refresh everytime i select a new section. ? Also, when i open the file, it shows a prompt:

Ok Cancel

When I click ok, it still loads properly, but i can't get it to refresh, as I already stated.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
flytape8490 said:
Ok, im lost. I cant get the totals to refresh everytime i select a new section. ? Also, when i open the file, it shows a prompt:

Ok Cancel

When I click ok, it still loads properly, but i can't get it to refresh, as I already stated.
Well I don't know what to tell you. I did tinker with a VBA fix at first but got bored & stripped it out. Anyways, I've gone back to your original file and (re-)fixed it up. If there's still a problem then maybe my set-up's to blame. Possibly someone else could have a squint.

Rgds,
Andy

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.