Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been experiencing a problem with sharing folders between two Windows XP Pro (SP2) Computers. I have searched the internet high and low for a solution, but i have not found one. This problem is driving me insane.

When sharing folders between the two machines I AM able to access the folders and find them in "My Network Places". The problem is, while I am able to view the contents of all shared folders correctly, some files will not open and i will get a "you do not have appropriate permissions..." error. This is very random.... for example: say I have a shared folder with 30 files in it... I will be able to open and copy/move most of them, but there are several that will not open (when i try to launch these 'problem' files [zip, exe, wmv, whatever] I will get the error mentioned above). I dont understand how files in the same shared folder will act so differently.

I have tried playing with permissions but, thus far, to no avail.
I have completely formatted and reinstalled BOTH computers and tried from scratch.

If anyone can help me end this nightmare, I would be forever grateful!

Regards,
Jackson

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
J:
Hello.

Which firewall is on each computer?

Which router [ brand & model ] are you using?

Did you configure your router?

Boot to safe mode with networking, for each computer.
Disconnect your router from the internet modem.

Now, try to share / access the problematic files.

Report your results.

RF123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only windows xp pro's sp2 native firewall, exceptions for file sharing are turned on.

my router is a d-link dir-655. I do have some special configurations for port forwarding. I have reset the routers configuration to factory and still experience the problem.

I am unable to boot into safe mode with networking support on my laptop because it doesnt recognize the keyboard until GUI boot (and has no PS/2 connector) --also there is no BIOS options for keyboard support (Most recent BIOS) -- is there another way to boot to safe mode with networking support other than the old F8??

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
If that doesn't work, use new cabling. I have seen similar [ intermittent file sharing ] caused by faulty ethernet cables. Or are you using wireless connections?

If you are using wireless, set the router to use no encryption. This is suggested ONLY as a test. If that is the cause, DLink might have a firmware update. I didn't see a firmware update for your problem at DLink's site for the DIR 555.

After re-formatting & re-installing Windows on your computers, if the problem persists in safe mode, the problem is either in the router or the cabling.

RF123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, thank you for your help so far.
I will try what you suggested for safe mode boot, and report back.

I have been experiencing this problem for almost a year, so I have tried many things in the past... I did buy new cabling last month. The problem didnt go away when i tried a wireless setup either. Have updated the routers firmware to newest.

Kind Regards,
Jackson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, safe mode with networking... thats what i meant, sorry about that.

i have a few routers, i dont remember if ive tried them in effort to solve this problem, ill try that after the safe mode w\ networking support.

fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.