Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly thrifty with computers and technology, so now my great aunt who happens to be a nurse had her grandson - my cousin - delete some files that she needed for work, I immediately told her to stop using the machine so that the files arn't written over by something else, and it was deleted through windows so I know for a fact it's easily recoverable, but I need a program or utilite that is free..any suggestions? She is bringing the computer from her house which is like 1 1/2 hours away, so I don't really want to send her home without her files, so some fast help would be great. :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What utility suites do you have? Some of them have data recovery built in. Symantec Systemworks probably does, System Mechanic Pro has it, PC Inspector File Recovery is freeware, and you will find many others with a Google search.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have partition magic though, so perhaps there is something built in that I will look. Thanks for the reply both of you, and I never though to check out download.com. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
One of the easiest and best.

Download Restoration (save it to a floppy not your hard drive). Run it from the floppy. Read the Readme.txt file. When you open it, make sure it is set to the correct drive (C:\ is default). Click the Search Deleted Files Button. It takes just a little time for that. Then when Do you want to scan vacant clusters? comes up, click Yes. This takes a longer time. Don't touch anything until it finishes. Then look for your files among the list. If they don't show up - they are gone.

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utildisk/rest2514.exe

sekirt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.