Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor (deceased)
5,176 Posts
Click Tools>Add-ons>Themes tab and click the Default theme and then the "Use Theme" button. Restart Firefox and see if the menu bar is still grayed out.

If the default theme is okay, it's a faulty theme.
If the default theme is the same, click Start>Programs>Mozilla Firefox>Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode) to start Firefox with all Add-ons temporarily disabled and see if you still have the problem.

·
5,176 Posts
The "use theme" is grayed out because it appears you only have the one theme, the Default Strata. I got fooled by the color of the browser and thought you had a different theme installed, but it looks like it's your overall Windows theme.

If the menus are black and active in Safe Mode, then it's most likely a faulty Add-on.
Best way to do this is to open Firefox normally and go down the list of Add-ons, disabling them one at a time until you find the one that's graying out the Menu Bar.
You'll likely have to restart Firefox each time for the disable command to take effect.

If you have a large number of Add-ons, you can divide them into groups to narrow it down quicker. For example, disable half and if the Menus go active you'll know it's in that group. If they don't go active, it's in the other group.

·
5,176 Posts
If you have the Add-ons window open and move your cursor over onto the browser and click it, do the menus go active? Or does minimizing the Add-ons window make the menubar active?
That would just be the focus. The menubar becomes inactive (grayed out) if the focus of the cursor is on another window or dialog box.
Is that what's happening or am I missing something?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(1)"If you have the add-ons window open move your cursor onto the browser, and click it, do the menus go active?" Answer No (2)" Or does minimizing the add-ons window make the menubar active?" Answer Yes. When Firefox opens the menubar is greyed. When Tech support Guy is opened the menubar is black.

·
5,176 Posts
Sorry, I had to ask to be sure it wasn't simply that you didn't have focus on the browser.
If it's OK in Safe Mode, it should be one of those extensions.
Does it operate normally if you disable the AVG Safe Search? You may have to do it in the AVG Program Options.
Out of the 3 extensions, that's the one that seems to cause the most problems with Firefox.

·
5,176 Posts
So it's not AVG and it's not the Google Toolbar, which are the only extensions.
Your Theme is the default and none others are installed.
Yet it doesn't happen when Firefox is run in Safe Mode.
It doesn't appear to simply be a focus issue as your first screenshot shows it grayed out but nothing open except the Browser and going to a different website seems to activate the menubar.

I'm stumped. The only thing I can think to try would be to uninstall and then reinstall Firefox in case it's a glitch in the program.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.