Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a cpu that was infected with several pieces of malware and adware and such. Everytime I tried to open or run applications I got the Microsoft has encountered a problem message. So I finally decided not to waste time, went ahead and backed up all important files customer needed and reformatted this Dell Dimemsion 3000 with the origional XP Home disk it came with. BTW I did a full format not quick one. Everything went fine, XP booted up. Looked in control panel, system, device drives and the only ones missing were the ethernet controller, modem, video and audio drivers. From this cpu went on dells site found the proper ethernet driver, saved it to my flash, transfered to desktop of the Dell, double clicked...nothing happened ... right clicked the tried open and run .. nothing ... tried the same with the video and modem same thing nothing happened. Tried to install ccleaner and got the microsoft has encountered a problem message again .. tried to install hijackthis and same type of message. figured something went wrong during install so i used a OEM copy of xp pro i have used on several machines without any problems including mine so I know it it good. Put it in the dell and restarted .. did another full format on the c: partition(only one) .. install went off without any problems. XP Pro restarts and I still have the same issues. Decided to try another format to bring it back to customers origional operation system and the issues are still present. Have never encountered a system problem like this after fresh installs. I have also tried the exefix from kellys page but no help. Friend suggested it might be some sort of file association problem but I cant seem to find one or dont know what Im looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i try to open ccleaner installer i get

CCleaner Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error Signature
AppName: ccsetup302.exe AppVer: 2.0.0.0 MdName: unknowm
ModVer 0.0.0.0. Offset 003fb208

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
Try the following:

Go to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CONFIG.NT

Open the file with Notepad (be sure to uncheck the "Always use the selected......" box)

Go to the very bottom of the Notepad window. Do you see files=40?

===================================================================

Or perhaps THIS?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try the following:

Go to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CONFIG.NT

Open the file with Notepad (be sure to uncheck the "Always use the selected......" box)

Go to the very bottom of the Notepad window. Do you see files=40?

===================================================================

Or perhaps THIS?
yes at end "files=40"

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
A lot of software do need the Internet to properly install. If you can't install your network adapter driver, that may very well be the root cause and why you can't install anything on your computer. I would try another driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I installed a wireless pci card i had laying around which got me on the internet. after doing windows updates and installing service pack 3 everything seems to be working for the time being. My best guess is that the window installer was not functioning properly and the update to 3.1 helped but really not to sure. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Often updating the system will fix obscure problems since it replaces many files. That also means that it even installs files that were missing completely with the latest versions.

I suppose the moral would be, when in doubt, get all the latest updates and HotFixes. If that fails, run sfc /scannow. ;)

Your ability to establish the network connection was fortunate.

Phantom010's suggestion was a good piece of deduction and put you on the right path.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.