Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 laptop computers and 1 desktop, 2 connect to the internet through a Belkin 802.11g wireless router, 1 of the laptops is connected to the router via cat 5, that same computer has a printer. At one time I had all computers networked together and could share files then I moved and have not been able to get it working since. I would like to be able to share files as well as share the printer.

Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If all three can access the internet through the router and at least one is running XP, here is one way.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i did that and still nothing, i go to my network places and nothing is there (like you said) i click on view workgroup computers, i get a popup that says the workgroup is not available and i might not have premission to use this network resource, and that the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. I also tried clicking on add network place. and the browse, entire network, microsoft windows network, then i see the name of my workgroup but dont see anything after that.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.