Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie in Linux. This is my first Linux install. I installed Fedora Core 6. Everything went smooth during installation. When I reboot Fedora starts to load than my monitor comes up with a message saying it doesn't meet the HF and VF parameters. It is my monitor giving me this message NOT Fedora. It gives me the HF and VF (horizontal and vertical frequency) parameters and what my my monitor's HF and VF actually are. The HF is at 89khz above the 28khz-70khz parameter.

The reason I posted in here is because I also have Windows XP loaded on the my PC and it works fine. Monitor is very old but new monitors are very expensive. Anything I can do with Fedora that might help? Thanks

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
If you press ctrl+alt+backspace and see a terminal screen then you can reconfigure the X-windows by typing
Code:
xorgconfig
You need to pick the correct video driver too and the resolution matching the hardware capability.

Linux uses generic drivers so there should be one that run your PC and you can try them out.

After you have save the configuration file you can try to go back to the desktop by typing
Code:
startx
The process can be repeated as long as the PC doesn't hang.

If you are confident enough you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf directly without running the xorgconfig program.

It is common for a distro able to communicate perfectly with a user in a GUI that doesn't got used after the installation. Strange but that is just one aspect of Linux and Fedora seems to do it more often.

Other distros can be better. Have a go at Puppy, Slax or Knoppix.

Never blame your equipment because of one Linux.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ctrl+alt+backspace will not work, either will ctrl+alt+F1-F6.

More detail when the monitor hangsout is right after red hat is starting udev. When I installed Fedora i installed ALL of the optional components web developing, software developing, and the optional components they say they need to get off the internet. I am using grub loader I believe 0.97 is the version. I checked out the command line for Fedora and it goes like this

root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

One more thing when i downloaded fedora from their site it came with 6 cd images, and I only used 3 for installation? Thank you

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I'm making progress. Sort of. I found a way to get into terminal mode. I added a 3 to the kernal argument in GRUB. More problems, once logged in as root, i can't use xorgconfig program says not a a Valid Command and i have no idea how to edit the file. Patted myself on the back just for finding the file.

In the mean time i'll read up on xwindows and xorgconfig, any help is appreciated. My vid card is ATI Radeon x1600 512mb heehee. It uses PCIEx16 and a good old monitor cable believe VGA?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Fedora Core 6 uses only the first 3 CDs in a normal installation. The rest could be source programs. Mine was done in 3 CDs too.

I notice FC6 doesn't seem to have xorgconfig but the X-windows configuration file is definitely there. It is /etc/X11/xorg.conf in my copy as shown below, marked red for you to spot
Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ ls /etc/X11
applnk  serverconfig  X        [color=red]xorg.conf[/color]         xorg,conf.bak
fs      sysconfig     xinit    xorg.conf~        Xresources
prefdm  twm           Xmodmap  xorg.conf.backup
[[email protected] ~]$
The section of interest to you is
Code:
Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Philips 170B"
        DisplaySize  340        270
        [color=blue]HorizSync    30.0 - 82.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0[/color]
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    #"nv"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "[color=red][b]radeon[/b][/color]"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
EndSection
The marked red is my proposal for your Video. You can try "ati", "vesa", "fbdev" if "radeon" doen't work for you.

Don't forget to check the two blue lines for matching your monitor frequencies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still cannot reach GUI. I get the same message. I edited xorg.conf with VIM, have reinstalled OS, nothing I tried works. Even downloaded x1600 driver from ATI, came up with missing Libraries had it install anyways.
As for setup command what do I change? Not a lot i saw in there makes sense.
Im currently working with a fresh install, with same problem, any suggestions?

Oh by the way since working out of a command terminal for several hours my Linux knowledge has grown exponentially.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to do it the hard way and still not getting anywhere.

There is a soft way too. Try a few Live CDs, find the one that give you a working screen, use its xorg setting on your Fedora. That is how I did mine because even today I still don't know what kind of onboard video I have.

Another alternative is to down load Gparted or Parted Magic Live CD. They are the newest version of the partitioning tool with a GUI. These two CDs have a various choices on video cards, colour depths and resolutions to try before entering the GUI. You can try the different settings quicker with them just by tapping the direction keys. It is just a suggestion to find out quickly the video setting that could work on your monitor.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Knoppix, will that give me xorg settings. By the way for the display size I used your 340 270.
Don't be sorry I spent a lot of time in root because of this learning how to install rpms, mkdir, cp files, mount cds, cat command with piping to read xorg.conf, VIM to edit it, I even played around with Grub screwed it up then fixed it. Im like what is this splash image lets change it to this. went into /boot/grub/ and changed the the timeout on it and the default OS. Even though I cant get into GUI I'm already likin it better than windows, seems a lot less restrictvie.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Knoppix has the same xorg but could be of a different version or better put together. However if you take note of or copy the "Monitor" and "Device" sections and apply them to Fedora there is a very good chance it will work. I would in you case write down the video driver as that is the one that can kick start your graphic card.

You will feel in Windows you are treated as a 2nd class user. In Linux you are given the entire control of the PC. Luckily so much good work has gone into it so that if you approach it logically and in small steps at a time you will be pretty safe in Linux. It will be an eye opener for those who first migrate to Linux. People like ourselves are only touching the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could not get Knoppix to load. I dismissed an error ealier in Fedora but same error came up in Knoppix at the beginning of the boot process.

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 2 of device 0000:05:00:0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0000:05:00:1

Other news, I am currently in Slax KDE environment right now v KDE 3.5. I went to xorg.conf file and it gave me examples of what my Monitor's and Video Driver's configuration can be. Im guessing there might be a different file that will give me the settings I need. When I first tried starting Slax it gave me an otion to autoconfigure my Video which I did and then I recieved the same Out of Range error. Hmm.....

I saw KDE on Fedora I guess if all else fails I can try loading that.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Good. Nice to see a happy ending.

Remember use the xorg setting that works in Linux A and transfter it to the next Linux B or select the same setting there.

You will find Slax is light years ahead of Fedora. It uses the most up to date filing system which lightning quick, it mount every partitions and you can see all Windows partitions too, sound, etc....... all will be a struggle in Fedora.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.