Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be an easy solution...I bought a new 40 gig hard drive and connected this to my old pc. I fdisked the HD and was confused why it only showed 12 odd gig.

Seemingly the bios was old so needed to be "flashed". I didn't bother with this one as I have since bought a new pc and installed said HD in that instead.

Now I'm confused? - the disk still shows 12 odd gig and I presumably need to fdisk it again? Trouble is I don't know how/where to access the ability to fdisk? (I know it sounds stupid)

I'm running Windows ME and have tried starting the pc up with this disk but doesn't seem to give me an option to fdisk?

Anyone help (in plain English please)?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi Boo Trumble, welcome to TSG!

What disk are you trying to start the pc up with?

A windows 98 bootable floppy or the disk that came with the hard drive?

What brand hard drive do you have and have you tried using the disk that came with it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi...thanxs for coming back so quickly!

I'm using the Windows ME CD to try to boot up the pc...don't really know what make of HD it is...put it in the pc a while ago and just getting round to the problem.

Didn't get a disk with the HD - think I need to get back to the fdisk prompt somehow? Nothing on the disk yet so want to format it again but need to fdisk first?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
You need to download a windows 98 bootable floppy from here:

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

(I think if your ME disk came with your ME computer....option isn't going to exist on this new drive)......

You'll save this file to your desktop (get the red one), double click on it, you'll be prompted for a floppy disk to be placed in your floppy drive and files will be transferred.

You'll then boot with this floppy disk, and there you can fdisk, and once you fdisk, you need to format......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.