Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to reformat my harddrive, format goes well but it will only format it to the fat32 and i want it in the ntfs. now i have tried to convert using the cmd command butit tell me it will convert then restart and for a few seconds it will tell me that it is going to convert may take a few minutes then a few seconds later windows will start and its not converted over. i have the windows xp service pk 2 upgrade cd i tried using that but it never gives me a choice on wwhich file system to use. i know the option is there thou because i installed xp on my mother's as an upgrade from win me and it ask me if i wanted to convert.

Im wondering........ i only use this computer for the kids..they play games on it and occasionaly get online with it and this is a computer that i more or less have peiced togather for
them so they will leave mine alone lol. the hardrive (came out of my old compac) with xp preinstalled. and the MB came out of a emachine running win 98, could that be the prolem? i updated all the drivers to xp and it works fine just that i need to convert to ntfs.
the kids like to play the sims2 and zoo tycoon. now i know these a really big games and take up alot of space so the fat32 system
wont let us install both games, a friend told me if i could convert it to ntfs it may be able to install both games. nothing on the harddrive except what comes with the winxp.
I also have the orginal win 98 orginal cd too. I cant use the xp boot dics because the A drive dosent work but i can boot it up using the xp cd

i was thinking maybe if i reformated the hard drive using the 98 then do a upgrade to xp...would that work? i thought i would ask before i tried it i dont want to screw anything hj up lol or they will be back on my computer lol.

any help appreciated
JoAnn

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
Was this by chance an upgrade from win9x where you opted to save the old systems files?

If you have a real xp cd and not a recovery cd, you can also format your drive from the recovery console. In the RC you would type "format X: /fs:ntfs" where X is the letter of the drive you are formatting.

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
BTW using ntfs or fat32 should not matter in regard to loading an app or game. The game may not load due to not enough room on the drive. How big of a hd do you have?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW using ntfs or fat32 should not matter in regard to loading an app or game. The game may not load due to not enough room on the drive. How big of a hd do you have?

ok i hope this is what you meant by how big was my harddrive..... in my systems properties box it says AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+2.00ghz 19mb ram

like i sd the hardrive came out of my old compac desktop that had winxp preinstalled when i gt it. i am the only owner of the computer no other os has ever been put on it except xp.

If you have a real xp cd and not a recovery cd, you can also format your drive from the recovery console. In the RC you would type "format X: /fs:ntfs" where X is the letter of the drive you are formatting.

i dont have a recovery disk i have the xp upgrade cd thats it, but i do have the orginal 98 cd.

so your saying that it dosent make a diffrence on the amount of space,wether it be the nfts or fat32?

cause when i had the harddrive in my old computer (the original computer the HD came from) i ran both games, they did run alittle slow but was still playable, but since i switched the HD into the computer im trying to fix it will install one of the games but not both.
when i try to install the 2nd game it tells me there isnt enough disk space.

is there maybe a program i can dwnload that would help me free up additional space on the harddrive?

·
Super Moderator
46,540 Posts
The only way to free up disk space is to delete apps / files that are no longer needed, adjust the amount of spaced used by system restore, adjust the amount used by the paging file.

From your post is says 19 meg of ram. I hope that is not correct, since xp will not run with that amount.

To check the size [and amount free] of your disk, go to my computer and right click the drive; go to properties and it will show the size of the drive and how much is free / used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.