Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, when I turn on my PC i believe the fan is making some strange noises as it is is over ravving, after a couple of minutes this sound stops and there no problem with how the system works. What do you think this may be? Cold whether? Dust? Shall I do anything about it?

Many thanks for your advice.

Nabetse

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Sounds normal. When you power on your system your fans run at full speed. As you boot into windows the fans are thermally controlled and adjust speed according to processor/video card/chipset temperatures. If the system is stable I wouldn't worry about it.

My 7600GT spins up like crazy at boot up. Louder then any other fan in my case. But that's pretty typical with the stock cooler on these cards.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My 7600GT spins up like crazy at boot up. Louder then any other fan in my case. But that's pretty typical with the stock cooler on these cards.
LOL my card does the same thing, very load at startup

Now strange noise? well usually when a fan starts making other then just regular spinning noise the bearings are going out. They can go a very long time but then if they go out and you don't know it they could cause damage to whatever device it is cooling. I would locate the fan that is making the "strange" sound. try looking at the power supply, they usually are the first to go.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
- How old is the system?
- Has it always done this?

The LOUD fan noise is usually ONLY NORMAL for about 5 seconds.... not minutes.

Failing fans will make noises for minutes before they calm down... like my old ATI9800Pro.

Crack open the case and locate the fan noise.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Sounds like its software controlled... On many of the HPs I've seen - when you first start up the PC - the fan is on FULL power (kinda dumb) but slow down during bios... but usually not VERY loud... I've seen them ERROR while in Windows where it sounds like a JET ENGINE and turning the PC OFF was the way to KICK the mobo to dropping the speed.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
OLD Dells are not modern computers...

As stated, some systems are louder than others, depending on who/how the BIOS is programmed. My self-built system is set for a constant RPM controlled by the BIOS... Its pretty much silent anyways. No need for variable fan speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.