Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An issue that has been annoying me since I first clicked play, I boot up the launcher, click play, this then boots up the fallout3.exe, I click New game, it loads for about 2 seconds, then presto I get a black screen.

I've installed the latest patch, I've tried the ffdshow method on the official site, I've tried different graphical settings, I've tried disabling V-sync, I've tried windowed mode, compatibility mode and nothing even makes the slightest bit of difference.

Google has no solutions left for me to try, so I have no idea why this is even happening.

The game auto-set graphics to medium when I first opened up the launcher, so I know my system is good enough to play the game.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Seems like a graphics card problem to me...You don't provide any info regarding your graphics card.

Click on the Start Orb in order to bring up the Vista start menu. On the search field type "dxdiag" and click on the icon. If dxdiag wants to check if your drivers are digitally signed let it do so.

Then click on the Display Tab and post the information found there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce 8400GS, total memory is 1269MB. it has only been installed a few weeks, since the install I've played my games without issue, Fallout 3 is a new addition since my system has been upgraded enough to play more recent titles.

In addition to that I have 2gb of system RAM, and a dual core 1.6ghz processor. The processor being the final thing to upgrade which I will do in the near future.

I am aware that the 8400 is hardly a playstation 3 level HD quality chip but it's ideal for the titles i play on my PC.

a scan from system requirements lab showed I could play fallout so i decided to go for it.

the issue though is purely a black screen, no crash to desktop, no error code, just a black screen where the program has frozen. This is awkward because I don't even know what the actual problem is.

ctrl alt delete is the only way to close the program after the freeze.

Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.