Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... we were rebooting my PC to free up the virtual memory... The power cut off in the house, and afterwards, the computer started up very sluggishly. We tried a ChkDisk because my father told me that has fixed his PC before. It didn't help any because it said the disk was fine. I then tried a system restore, which did not help either. It still boots up as slow as ever.

The operating system in Microsoft Windows XP 2002 edition with SP2 nstalled, and all the lastest updates installed.

I'm not sure what happened >.>

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Banned
52 Posts
ran any scans 4 viruses/spyware?

·
Registered
475 Posts
The boot files were likely fragmented/displaced by the untimely power outage. I suggest that you run Bootvis. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664 To use Bootvis: After installation, call up th UI. At the top select "Trace." From the drop-down menu select "Next boot and driver delays." You will be given a countdown to reboot.
Wait for it. All of it. After reboot Bootvis will start itself with a small window that disappears when it's finished. Do nothing until the Bootvis dialog box is gone!
Now run Bootvis again. Now that it has the data go to "Trace," and select "Optimize the system." Cuppa coffee time. Once again, do nothing until Bootvis is done. This time will be much longer as Bootvis lays out the boot files on the disk for better system access.
Bootvis was designed by Microsoft for use by computer makers to optimize their systems for Windows. I'm sure that it can provide lots of arcane information and maybe do other stuff, but this function is why personal users have downloaded it so many times.

Good luck, and post back with your progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I did what you said. it is still moving like a dying slug... My next step I might take to fix it is a repair installation, or at worst case, a complete re-doing of the system.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Download, install and run HiJackThis

Copy/Paste the created LOG file back here for review.

Also, go into Device Manager, IDE Controllers, right mouse, properties, advanced settings and check That Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available and Current Transfer mode is DMA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NOthing will start in it. the only thing that will load is explorer, avg, then it stops loading everything else... I can't get anything to load. even the task manager

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.