Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having alot of troubles with download speed for the internet. I have done several speed tests on dslreports.com and the speed tests show that I should have a download speed of ~500-600kbps however when I go to download a file my download speed varies between 0 and 20kbps. I don't know why the speed test would show that I should have a proper download speed but the actual is roughly 5% of that.

I have changed the dsl cord and the ethernet cord and no change in speed.
I have power cycled the modem ( I do not have a router) the modem is a Westell model F90
I have plugged the modem in to different phone jacks, no change (unless they are all bad)

I saw the post that user Speediakal had put up and I tried to do a line quality test however it says my IP is not pingable

Do you think that the modem is the problem? Are there any other tests that I can perform to determine the problem?
I am trying to get my isp out to look at the problem but they don't seem to care because to them they are 'providing the correct speed'
Please help
Thank you,

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You need to configure the firewall in the computer to allow ICMP (PING) responses to run the line quality tests. This test will give us a good look at what is going on.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
One thing to rememeber, speed tests are measured in Kbitesps and file down load speeds in KBytesps. 8 bites = 1 Byte.

Having said that, for a 500Kbps connection, would expect file downloads of about 40 KBps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will keep that in mind, thank you.
I have a 768kbs modem and my speed is in the upper 500 to 650kbps range (according to the most recent speed tests on dslreports.com) I should be getting a download speed of 74 - 81KB/s. I wonder if the modem has a firewall that is blocking everything, I had a linksys router that did that once, a real pain to work with. There are some messages that appear in the modem's log everytime I download something but I do not know what they mean. I know that even though I disabled my virus software firewall and the computer's firewall I could not do the line quality test, so something was blocking the ping test...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
That is still pretty good speed for dial-up,which it sounds like you have, talking about plugging into different phone lines.
When I had dial-up, I was considering myself lucky to get near that speed.
May want to check the in-house wiring,as old wires can also cause a slowdown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.