Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reformatting a friends Laptop with a new O/S. I backed up 680MB of pictures, documents onto my external Hard drive. I checked twice that the data was on there before reformatting. After I reformatted for some reason it won't let me access this file on my external H.D. It says no access to the F drive and says the file is empty. I am able to get into other files on the external just not this particular file. I tried using a program called Power Data recovery to find the files off the deleted C drive partition. It found some if not all of the files. However, when I go to access them it say's you can't get into the files or a word doc comes up in all these weird letters. I know my chances are slim to none here, but I guess you never know. What is my best option? Should I try and repair the files that were extracted from the Deleted partition. Repair the file on the External HD. I would really appreciate any suggestions or programs to help. Thanks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your great responses! I managed to be able to view the files in using Acronis True Image and then transfered them onto my Laptop. My external hard drive has some issues, I really want to transfer the files to the computer and then reformat the external HD. What is the best program to partition the External hard drive? Thanks

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I would just use Windows own Disk Management to partition and format the drive, unless you need it to be FAT32 for some reason. I haven't needed to create a FAT32 partition larger than 32 GB (Window's limit) so don't have a recommendation for software for that task

If the drive will be used on both Vista/Win7 and XP, use Vista/Win7 to partition and format. There have been some reports of Vista causing problems with partitions created by XP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.