Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had trouble only this week with a couple of wireless desktops in my home. It seems to be affected by one of two things (or both). I added a third wireless desktop recently and it seems to cause problems whith the other wireless connections after it was added. Is this and issue? Also running Windows XP SP2 on all machines. The other possibility is the latest security update for IE7 which was pushed to the other two machines this week. I unistalled the patches rebooted the machines and all seemed well untill I turned on the third computer and one of the other two machines lost its connection and then got it back after I turned off the third computer.:confused:

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
On how many, if any, of the wireless computers are you using a static IP configuration?

Do you get any error message when a computer loses its wireless connection?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TerryNet said:
On how many, if any, of the wireless computers are you using a static IP configuration?

Do you get any error message when a computer loses its wireless connection?
How could I check this? All I have done to set them up is plug in the USB cable from the antenna to the computer then install the driver from the disk.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Please do the following on one of the computers with internet access. It will make it easier for me to answer "How could I check this?" and may give some other important clues.

Start - Run - cmd - OK

In the black command window type
ipconfig /all

Right click in the window and select 'select all' and then hit the Enter key. (That puts the window's contents into the clipboard.)

Paste the results in a post here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TerryNet said:
Please do the following on one of the computers with internet access. It will make it easier for me to answer "How could I check this?" and may give some other important clues.

Start - Run - cmd - OK

In the black command window type
ipconfig /all

Right click in the window and select 'select all' and then hit the Enter key. (That puts the window's contents into the clipboard.)

Paste the results in a post here.
Here is what I got.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mitch.GRETA-0E55AD178>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : greta-0e55ad178
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100Tx Version 2.0 Fast Et
hernet PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-CC-E1-16-42

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapt
er v2.8 #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-57-2C-D5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.158.96.130
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:30:14 A
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:30:14
AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Mitch.GRETA-0E55AD178>

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Thanks. The line that says this connection is NOT using a static IP is "Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes"

I don't see any hints of trouble in that ipconfig. Take a look at the ipconfig /all of the other computer with internet. Does it have the same Dhcp Enabled ... Yes? Does it have "IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103" except with a different last number?

Now connect that third computer. Give us the ipconfig /all for it AND for the computer that loses the internet connection (during the time that it doesn't have connection).

If you need to, you can paste the results into a Notepad file and then later copy/paste to a post here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.