Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A recent tragedy has left the display on my laptop inop. only approximately 1/10th of the display in the top left corner remains. I have an old Dell flat panel monitor that I wanted to hook up to have at least some functionality while I pursued a new computer or a replacement monitor. (feel free to comment on this as well).

When I hooked up the monitor, it worked as I had hoped. I saw my entire desktop on the external monitor. The only issue was the resolution was different making everything appear too large for the screen. I adjusted the resolution, and next thing I know, the only option is to "stretch monitor across both screens". This leaves the toolbar and all icons on the screen that does not work. All I have been able to do is to drag the toolbar to the external monitor and just restore/move any windows that open to that monitor. This is very cumbersome and too much for my wife to deal with.

I have a feeling that adjusting the resolution is what started my trouble. Please remember when giving advice that my primary monitor has only about 10% usable space, this makes accessing many tools difficult.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Scott

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1505 running xp media center. The video card is a radeon 256 and I think it is integrated, but I don't know the complete specs. Can get them from Dell if needed.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
If you use the ATI Catalyst Control you should be able to close the display to the external monitor.

Or Press FN and one of the F# keys on the keyboard and it should also enable the secondary monitor as an identical clone to the LCD panel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Triple6, thanks for your reply and you were right on the money. I got home yesterday morning and played around with my resolution settings. Got everything sized way too big to where I couldn't use the small amount of screen that I had. I also set the external monitor to not display anything. Sat there dejected for a second, then noticed the LCD/CRT label on the F8 key. Sure enough, toggling through this blacks out the dead monitor and replicates my desktop on the external monitor.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.