Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have an external that I use to back up all my stuff on my pc's. Well I got a macbook for college and I was trying to back up files from my mac to the external, it wouldn't allow me so I set up a partition for it. Now when I plug it in to my PC it wont read the external! I hope I didn't lose my data I had so much on there! I need some help please!:(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow.. I guess I got confused and thought I was making a dual partition, I didn't know it was partitioning only for OSX and wiping my external. Man my mom had a book on there and years of files, pictures and movies. My family is going to kill me, bad day :/

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Unless you did a low level format you can restore the original NTFS partition and with the help of some file recover applications you may be able to recover some of your files.

I've used NTFS Recover in the past and was able to restore many files. (but mileage will vary.)

For future reference, both Windows and OS X can read or FAT format or installing the free MacFuse and NTFS3g will give you write support for NTFS volumes on OS X 10.4 and 10.5. OS X 10.6 is suppose to have NTFS write support built in now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Headrush is right about reading NTFS on a Mac, but I think your having the problem of reading a HFS+ on Windows. If that is incase your problem then you can use transmac, or macdrive. Macdrive is the best choice but it costs $$.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its cool I did mess up and Im dealing with the loss of data but I successfully have a stable dual partition on it, one for FAT32 and the other for NTFS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.