Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a seagate freeagent Desktop external 1TB HDD that won't power down when I shutdown my computer.

I have used this same drive with windows vista, and it always turned off when computer was shutdown, but since having windows 7 installed, it won't power down.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what could have changed??

Many thanks, Dan

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts
"--as many leave external HDDs on all the time --"

This is not good practice, if there are backups on the XHDD! In that case, the drive should be active only when backups are being made. A power surge, etc. would wipe out the computer as well as the backups.

One moderator here at TSG recommends having duplicate backups on separate media!

{redoak}

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I concur about leaving HDD on all the time, which is why I am keen to find a reason it no longer powers down at shutdown. There doesn't seem to be any helpful info on Seagate website regarding this issue. I think it maybe a Windows 7 setting somewhere................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that yours once "shut down" without physically turning off the power. Did it really disconnect from the power source?

{redoak}
Yes....when I used to shutdown my computer, all lights would go off and within 10-15 seconds later, I would hear an audiable "click" and see the orange light bar on the Ext. HDD turn off.(and stay off)

Now when I shutdown, same happens except the light on the HDD turns back on almost instantly (with same click sound) and stays on....even though computer is dark and off.

cheers Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.