Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 40 gb external hardrive 2.5 sata. Could someone tell me if it works with Vista. I thought I was ordering a Seagate from EBay, that is what they told me I was ordering but instead got this Sata. I can't get it to work. Anyone know anything about this. Is it user friendly?

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
yes it will work with vista
sata isnt a brand...its an interface
just consider it having different a plug in on the inside

When you plug in the hd
what exactly happens
any dings from windows?
does the hd light come on..and or go right back off?
can you see the hd in disk mgt?

·
Registered
808 Posts
also does this drive have 2 cables to connect it to the computer? my 2.5 inch external needs the second cable for power as it doesn't get enough power from just the one usb cable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I plug it in it lights up and no dings from windows. I just can't seem to navigate to where I would drag my photos, etc. My neighbor did it on his computer and he worked it just fine--I have to have things very simple. I wanted a seagate and I think I will still try to get one. I only paid 27.00 for this total-e-bay but there are no returns. He sent me another brand.

·
Registered
808 Posts
with mine if I only use the one cable I get the lights but windows will not recognize the drive. I plug the second USB cable in and it works. I only need the second cable for my desktop, it runs fine on one on my laptop.Also if you have a powered USB hub try plugging it into that as it can deliver more current to the USB devices

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is there but that is where I am stuck--don't know how to go from there ( thank you for bearing with me I am 76 and love computers but sometimes they are way out of my reach----ha ha) but I won't give up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.