Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
7,004 Posts
I seem to recall those drives where having issues with abruptly losing data. I think I have one from a friend I tried to recover data from. I hooked up the drive to an external HD controller. The drive was recognized but there was no data showing on the drive. I don't think the official cause was ever publicized, but I think based on the reported failures it had to do with the controller in the enclosure.

·
Trusted Advisor
7,004 Posts
I always store my documents in an external HDD and when I don't need them I just unplug the HDD to extend the life of it. I also have some copies of documents in a USB Flash with encryption just in case I need them when I go out.
That's the rub though. The external drive enclosures I'm thinking of were from what I can see lightly used and still lost data. It's usually advisable for one to have two backup copies of important data; especially when using consumer grade products.

I'm running a little afoul to this advice as my main backup for my important data is on a single server with multiple drives in a RAID 6 setup. The only weak spot to this is if the RAID controller or the motherboard of the server goes belly up. But I should be able to restore that as I have other servers with the same RAID controller and motherboard to throw in. I was also planning on getting a tape backup unit that uses either LTO5 or 6 tapes running. But hit a road block with understanding how to configure the tape unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts