Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,745 Posts
That drive is 18yr old and it is long past its useful life.
Have you tried connecting the drive as an internal drive? It requires an IDE controller on the motherboard OR an adapter. I would try connecting the drive as an internal type drive first. If you do not have a system with an ide controller on the board, you can also attempt with an adapter like this one SATA/IDE/PATA to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable <Ships from USA> for 2.5/3.5 Hard Drive, Compatible with USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 - Newegg.com

My EXTERNAL Hardrive (has stopped working and I have lost everything I had stored in it
This is why we stress backups SO much. Data you do not have at the very least two copies of (on separate media) is data you do not care about. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

·
Super Moderator
46,745 Posts
I actually have one of those drives in the parts closet. Even older; date of mfg Sept 2003. Still works (at least it did the last time it was connected)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
46,745 Posts
That looks very much like the one I use. It is a VERY useful tool to have if you intend on working on hardware.
Now you know the drive itself is still working; it is the enclosure that failed.
FWIW now would be the time to formulate a backup plan for your data files.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts