Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
192Mb of RAM isn't much these days. What are you using for an OS? More RAM generally gives a noticeable performance increase. The external HD obviously gives you more storage. What do you need?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well i think your priority should be hard drive just now although i imagine you'd see good results from a ram upgrade also. Why not go internal hd? They're cheaper. It is a desktop isn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
If you're going to be using the computer for high-end intensive applications, you might want to consider purchasing a new system. Given that the memory is low and the hard drive is small, it sounds like you've outgrown this system.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I couldn't tell from the small pictures whether the hard disk is 2.5" for the laptop type of the 3.5" used by all desktop. Either way it doesn't matter if the 5 Gb disk is to be upgrade to say a 100Gb 2.5" hdd. If it is a 3.5" one can get a 400Gb Pata in as the size is standard.

I don't think any XP can run "properly" without say 12 to 15 Gb. Even a small Win9x system will have to spend most of the time moving information between the memory and the 173Mb free hard disk space than doing the real work.

You can clone a xp disk into another bigger hard disk using a free Linux Live CD. One of my link in the signature describes how to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.