Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 19 stinking days, my external hard drive is refusing to show up on my computer now. I used it just fine last night, but when I plug it in today, nothing. Nothing's recognized, and the drive doesn't do its usual red flickers. So far I've tried not using the extension cable, didn't work, so I test the cable, it works. I get a different cord and plug it into my hard drive, and nothing shows up.

It powers up just fine, but it just doesn't do anything when I plug it in. It's starting to sound like a failure in the USB part, but I have no way to be sure. I can't get it replaced by my store because it went past my 30 day replacement plan since they took 3 weeks to ship it to me. -_-;;

It's a 250GB Western Digital USB/Firewire drive, and it's going out the window if I can't get it to work.. Please help me reclaim $300 of my life!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was about the first thing I did.. My pen drive works... :-/ First time I think I was sad that my laptop wasn't broken... Now I gotta either get an iLink cable or go through their data recovery stuff and get a replacement... ~sigh~

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
What does Device Manager look like with the drive connected and with it unconnected? Any yellow or red splotches? If an older OS, did you try re-installing USB2 support?

What OS?

Is the power coming on all right and is there an internal fuse?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No conflicts in the Device Manager. Nothing new has been installed since last night. I run XP Pro with the latest updates. The hard drive powers up just fine. Spins up and does its little seek as usual. :-/

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Do you have a USB to ATAPI driver that can be reinstalled? Where did you get the driver?

Edit:
Sorry. I forgot you were running XP. It probably loaded usbstor.sys automatically.

If the USB port works for other devices (any others you can try besides the pen?), you may want to start looking at the drive itself.

Is it listed under disk drives in the Device Manager? When you right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, any sign of it?

Check all the connections including the ones inside the case. There is probably a ribbon cable from the USB to ATAPI adapter. Check that especially.

These external drives are usually just a normal, internal drive connected to a ribbon cable that then goes to a USB adapter. If all else fails, and you have a free IDE connection on your machine, you could remove the drive from the external case and try it in your PC (unless you said laptop. I don't remember.). At least then, if the drive itself is not damaged, you could recover whatever was on it.

You could unhook your CD-ROM temporarily to try the drive.

When you say, "its usual red flickers", are you talking about when it is first powered on? If that is the case, the drive may well be at fault since it should still have its "red flickers" even if not connected to the computer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't open the drive up because I still have a year of warranty left. I meant the red flickers as when I plug it in, it flickers a few times while XP detects all the partitions.

No sign of it in Device Manager or Disk Management. And yes, I am using a laptop, but I have other computers, though that's still out of the question due to the warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.