Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Buffalo HD-CE1.0TU2-AP external hard drive and it's having problems. When I try to open a folder, it tells me to format the hard drive. If I try to copy the folder to somewhere else, it gives me a Data error: Cyclic Redundancy Check.When I try to defrag it, it tells me random folders are corrupted. Is there any way to fix this problem without me losing my data? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'd wager that it is corrupted. Try downloading and using TestDisk. I corrupted a Windows 2000 installation once, to the point where I got the "No Operating System Found" error on boot (meaning I was in it deep), but TestDisk was able to recover all of my files.

I'd read the documentation to some degree on TestDisk. It's a bit tricky to just pick up and use but the docs are great and will get you through what you need to.

Don't mess with the disk any more excluding your work with TestDisk. Every time you write to that drive you are potentially overwriting the data you want to save, and it then won't be recoverable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible I corrupted my hard drive by transferring too much files at once or shutting down my computer without disconnecting my hard drive first? I want to avoid this situation again if possible. Edit: After the scan, it showed a lot of files in red. What do I do at this point? Also, it seems that whenever I click on a possibly corrupted folder, the computer freezes for a few seconds before being able to select the folder. After, when I double click to open it, it wants me to format my hard drive. If I right-click for Properties, it shows that there is nothing in the folder. Is this a sign that it's corrupted?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sorry about the delayed response, CrimsonKing. I haven't had much computer access the last two days.

In response to post #4: those folders might be lost. Hopefully it was not any important personal files (if system files are corrupted you will be fine... because you'll need to reinstall anyways. Its documents etc. that we just need) that you aren't able to access.

I guess the ultimate question is: are you able to recover everything you need? If not then I'll try to get more details for you... (I appreciated teh screenshot by the way) though I've only used TestDisk a few times and when I did I had little trouble getting at my things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any way of getting those folders back? So far I have not been able to recover anything yet. This shows up when I run a search. http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7047/onlyone.png
This shows up after I press continue
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5061/only.png
After I use deep search, it reaches 35 in about a second, stops for about a minute, then give me this
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4758/error35.png
That happens to every one of those after 35.
What do I do to restore files?
Edit: I found out to copy files, but a lot of them aren't being copied at all. They come out as blank folders.
Someone suggested this: "Remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it to your PC via a USB to Hdd connector or slave it to your PC." Would that work?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't have much for you on the TestDisk errors... you'll want to Google more on those or perhaps hope a more experienced TD user finds this thread. My runs with TD recovered everything I needed pretty easily, so I don't have a lot of troubleshooting experience with it.

Connecting the hard drive by an alternate method would help only if there is a problem with your Buffalo enclosure (which is entirely possible, by the way, but not necessarily your root cause). If you try an alternate connection I'd guess you'll still need TestDisk, but not necessarily.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You'll have to open up your PC case and connect it. If it is IDE it will have a 2 inch or so ribbon cable and a power cord. SATA will have only one cord.

If you want, here is a page of instructions on how to connect an IDE drive: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml
Don't worry as much about a mounting bracket (if you have one it's great, but if not you can just set the drive in a place where it won't slip. It doesn't need to be perfectly horizontal or vertical. Again just in a place where it won't fall or tip)

SATA drives are 99% foolproof. The connector only fits one way, unless you are the 1% that would use an unreasonable amount of force without looking how the connectors line up.

Make sure to shut off your computer and unplug it when you do this. Upon turning it on Windows should autodetect it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If your PC is a laptop you probably don't have a second connection for another hard drive, unfortunately. You can open it up if you like and see, but the odds aren't with you.

You might want to try a different dock or enclosure if you have one. Try to borrow one... I don't know if it's worth the money to you to buy another one just for this.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Warranty won't cover recovering your data. That is a service you will have to pay [dearly] for.

Before you are able to return it to get it replaced, I'm guessing tech support will ask you to try formatting the drive first. If you are giving up on/are done with recovering data you can try a full format (which will end your chances of getting the data off, unless again you pay for an expert).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.