Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on computing tech news that
windows Xp by itself could manage a dual display if I have no video card that supports dual display.
I have an matrox MGA-G200 AGP video card
and am using windows XP Pro.
Usually, for use of 2 monitors, you get
in your "settings" tab (in the display properties, the options to extend your desktop to another monitor. In my case, there's no options at all for dual display.
So is that true that I can use dual display
whether my video card supports it or not..as long as Windows XP is the OS?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Well on a Laptop it can be possible to have the SAME display on two monitors. One being the LCD, and the other being an externally connected monitor.

However, in order to have two SEPARATE displays on two separate monitors, you need to have two Video Cards. Then the support can be 2 separate sets of video real estate, OR a single screen image (desktop) SPREAD OVER the two Displays (acting as a single logical monitor).

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
I didn't know laptops had AGP equivalent slots. What model laptop is this? Windows XP doesn't guarantee dual monitor support. The video card has to support it. I also don't know of any laptops that have built-in dual monitor support. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know you can connect some models to docking stations which contain a 2nd video card which then allow dual monitors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.